Truck towing capacity

I recently bought a 1986 C10 with the Silverado package. The truck has

305/TH350. I didn't realize until after I bought it that it had a 2.76? rear gearing. I want this truck to tow my 3100 lb camper. The motor and trans should be no problem except I am worried about the rear gearing. Will this be alright or should I re-gear the truck to a 3.42 or 3.73? Please help if you can. Thanks.
Reply to
Jayfeather

What percentage of the driving is the truck gonna be pulling? With the

305, I would suggest 3.73 if not 4.10 if pulling over half of the time. Otherwise maybe 3.08s would be better than the 2.73's but still keep the RPMs low enough for freeway driving. Depending on the rear spring packs, you might want to look into a set of overload springs.

I had a 1/2T with only 4leaf packs...rode great but couldn't handle a load for nothing. Was on the bump-stops before 1000lbs was loaded in the bed. With a 400 and 3.08s, it sure didn't have much trouble with a full ton of gravel in the bed!

Is it a 10 or 12bolt rear? Where are you located. I could probably set you up with a 3.08 or 3.73 12bolt if your interested.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
Jayfeather

I would probably consider a 3.42 a minimum with a 3.73 being an optimum with a 305.

Reply to
Shades