Trying to find specs on my K3500

Bought a military customized 1997 K3500 crew cab. Some of my mechanics refer to it as a Chevy and others refer to it as a GMC. Is there a way to find out which it is ? Also .... Has anyone else experienced the following symptom: Everytime I try to start my truck (warm, cold, wet or dry) it always fails the first time (cranks but doesn't turn over). However, it always starts the second time I crank it and runs like a dream. I've had all the ignition wiring, plugs, and distributor cap replaced but still no luck.

Reply to
gdog01

OK ... I did a VIN check through CARFAX and it gave me the following:

VIN: 1GCHK33J2VF029412 Year/Make/Model: 1997 CHEVROLET K3500 Body Style: CREW PICKUP Engine Type: 7.4L V8 SFI HO VORTEC

But still intersted in trying to solve my ignition problem if anyone has any suggestions.

Reply to
gdog01

The constant state of confusion caused by mangled terminology. ie "Cranks but doesn't turn over". Crank and turn over are the same thing so I assume it cranks, ie the starter is turning the engine, but she doesn't start. You turn the key to the off position and then back on and crank again and it starts and runs. This sounds like a bad fuel pump relay, or there is a leak in the fuel system, ie fuel pressure regulator, or check valve in the fuel pump, leaking injector, or if this vehicle has it, the spider assy is leaking, and the system losses pressure when its shut down and it takes two key cycles to get it back up. Hopefully Doc will jump in here and lend his opinion, past throttle body injection I get weak on fuel system diagnostics.. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the tips. Sorry 'bout the terminolgy. That was a couple beers fumbling my words for me.

Reply to
gdog01

I came across wrong there. A bit too much eggnog and southern comfort coupled with the time off the year..

Terminology is important tho. Customer calls in, "my car wont start" does that mean, turn the key and nothing happens, it cranks, or turns over, but doesn't start, starts but stalls as soon as the key is released? And most often left out, year, make, model, engine size.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning