Turn Signal Mystery

I have A 1998 Chevy S-10 4Cyl

Well I'm still trying to find the reason that my left turn signal won't blink? The brake will not light up ether but, what's strange is the right works fine. I've checked connectively to all the wires from the LTS to the RTS back to the fuse box. Also the front left signal lights blink fine too. Now inside cab the LTS blinker blinks fast and is acting like a bulb is burned out but, that's the first thing I checked.

I hope someone can give suggestions as I'm about to just give up and take it to a shop but, don't want to as I'm sure it's a simple fix. It's just heartbreaking to spend $$$$ to fine out that I could have fixed for pennies.

Thanks for all ideas as to what this "Mystery" is?

Ree ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is possible." -- Richard M. DeVos

Reply to
Ree

Check the bulb again. Swap the right and left bulbs to see if the problem moves. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Sometimes the brushes in the socket are a little burnt (charred...crisp...carbon deposits) and not the bulb...I scratched mine up a little bit using a very tiny (swiss army) knife and then rubbed the contact with an eraser (did you ever race HO cars with the brushes on the bottom of the cars and the wires in the race track?...that's how we cleaned those brushes) then I put just a little grease on the bulb contacts and popped the bulb back in. Done...Finished.

Reply to
Bob Truck

Make sure your ground is good. common problem

Good luck

Matthias

Reply to
mathijs derks

Reply to
bobo

The 98 Malibu I had used circuit boards in the rear lighting system that burned and had to be replaced. Does the 98 S10 use a similar system, or more conventional wiring?

Reply to
Commentator

Not a test light but, a volt meter. It beeps if the wires are good. And it did give a beeping sound. It was fast just like the L.T.S. was blinking.

Ree

Reply to
Ree

Ok the last fore #'s are: WK163319

thanks,

Ree

Reply to
Ree

I was looking at the wires and checking them all looked ok. I didn't see any circuit boards.

Ree

Reply to
Ree

here's some info for ya.. you might not be able to but if you can enable html just for these emails.. hopefully that will let you read it easier... I didn't find any open recalls for this truck, or that the hazard switch recall even applies.. there was a claim for N6560 - turn signal wiring back in 99, but I can't pull up much more than that it was done by Smith chevrolet in AZ, and that no parts were billed.... did you try wiggling the hazard switch?? just curious if that made a difference.. if it doesn't, then this isn't gonna help ya..

VEHICLE INFORMATION Merchandising Model : CS10603 -1998 FLEETSIDE PICKUP-LS TRIM Warranty Start Date : 05/30/1998 BARS Order Type : 70 - RETAIL - STOCK Delivering Dealer : SMITH CHEVROLET OLDSMOBILE CADILLAC PO BOX 3069 STA FORT SMITH , AR 72913-3069

(xxx)xxx-xxxx Selling Source : 13 - CHEVROLET Site Code : XXXXXXX Business Associate Code : XXXXXX Service Contract : No Branded Title : No Warranty Block : No PDI Status : Paid REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Recalls SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Service Information

CLAIM HISTORY R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading 02/21/2001 179149 # N3570 - MODULE, PULSE WIPER CONTROL - REPLACE

255 miles 12/13/1999 156106 # N6560 - TURN SIGNAL WRG REP 31593 miles 12/13/1999 156106 # C2020 - SUNSHADE AND/OR SUPPORT - RIGHT - R&R OR REPLACE 31593 miles 12/09/1999 155970 # N2320 - SWITCH - IGNITION - REPLACE 31504 miles 10/11/1999 152575 # B7540 - MOLDING, WINDSHIELD REVEAL - R&R OR REPLACE 28348 miles 02/08/1999 138727 # N2320 - SWITCH - IGNITION - REPLACE 14430 miles 02/08/1999 138727 # N0225 - HEADLAMP - AIM 14430 miles 02/08/1999 138727 # C2122 - HINGE AND/OR STRIKER, COMPARTMENT (INSTRUMENT PANEL) - ADJ 14430 miles 09/28/1998 131717 # N0126 - CABLES, BATTERY - NEGATIVE - ONE - REPLACE 6381 miles 07/22/1998 127882 # N6270 - ENGINE WRG REP 2822 miles 12/12/1997 A63319 I Z7000 - PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION - BASE TIME 0 miles

Reply to
bobo

Common problem, easy solution. Had the same problem last month, found answer on internet.

The taillight assemblies are packed with a white substance that will harden and cause a poor connection. Remove the taillight assemblies, use a dental pick or small awl to clean out all of the white substance, especially for the center socket.

Use a good electrical contact cleaner to clean all contacts including those on the bulbs.

Use a small probe to 'tweak' the contacts inward just a bit especially those that hold the middle bulb in place.

A dielectric grease (silicone grease) will help keep a good contact plus keep moisture out.

Reassemble and test.

This solved my problem, both taillights had quit working on my 95, both turn signal blinkers were flashing very fast and the taillight on the cab still continued to work because it is on a different circuit. I had to do the left taillight again a week later, that's when I discovered that tweaking the contacts inward would solve the problem. Both middle bulbs showed signs of heat as the plastic was darkened, this is where the stop light and turn signal bulbs plug in.

Reply to
Rod WIlliams