Two '84 Sierra Questions...

Hello all...

Four new tires, one fixed A/C unit (works great on 134A, BTW), some wooden floorboards and a new battery later after I left the lights on for two hours, I am finally getting serious about making this thing road ready once again.

Tonight I had a headlight (passenger's side) that was glowing dimly after I changed out the battery. I figured it was failing, but when I diddled the grounding wire the light came on brightly and worked properly...until the ground seemed to fail again. I've narrowed the problem down to where the grounding wire enters the headlamp socket...pulling and tugging on it there results in a flickering light. I've never tried to fix a connector like this before--any hints or must it be replaced somehow?

Second question relates to the A/C...it's working great and blowing really cold, but for a long while now the truck has been unwilling to output air anywhere except the heater outlet. This makes the A/C rather ineffective. I think this is some kind of vacuum issue, but for certain the in-cab lines are good and climate control works properly when run from an "external" source of vacuum. Since the thermostat will "shift gears" and output air somewhat appropriately if the engine is revved up, I think the vacuum pump is working. I pulled the hoses off the other night and while I found they were moderately disintegrated, I couldn't find any obvious leak. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh