Unable to remove center bolt on harmonic balancer pulley

Anyone have a good idea for removing the center bolt (5/8") on the pulley attached to the harmonic balancer? All I can manage to do is crank the engine when I yank on it, and I can't find an obvious place to lock the balancer or pulley in place. Very frustrated, any ideas?

-L

Reply to
lberry

no one

Thanks for the responses. Ended up getting that impact wrench I've always wanted (thank you harbor freight) and it came off pretty easy. Don't know what I did without one for so long.

Reply to
lberry

Get some new_clean_rope, pull a sparkplug, get the piston away from TDC. Feed a couple feet of rope down the plughole, bring the piston slowly up against the wadded up rope with a breaker bar on the balancer bolt, turning CCW. (Make sure you're on the compression stroke doing this as you don't want to take a chance on damaging the valves or getting rope between them and their seats.) Keep pulling on the breaker and the bolt will break loose. I can't wait to hear the anal retentives come out of the woodwork on this method. It works and has for me for 50 years with no adverse affects whatsoever.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

The first responder told you to use a hammer. It works, but now you have a new tool:) Always a good thing!

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That Cheap IMPACT will last forever ..

But Remember this ... It was Made in CHINA!!! We all Support a LARGER TRADE DEBT !!!

Reply to
no one

Ya but I spelled Hammer Wrong ! I lost the use of one hand 7 years ago!

Reply to
no one

After a surgery, a nerve was "nicked" and I had little use of my right hand for about 5 months. Luckily, I am left handed; even better, I now have full use of my right hand again. There are modified key-boards one can obtain with the keys apart from each other, makes typing with a mouth stick easier; or, if you have cerebral palsy or other disease that makes the hands shake. I was able to borrow one of these and use it while my hand was getting better. Made one-handed typing much more accurate. Perhaps you could check around and find something like that. The local Multiple Sclorosis society might be a starting point.

There are also "Kids" exagerated-size keyboards and track-ball pointers, which you may find easier. Hey, it's all relatively cheap and might make things easier!

Reply to
Merlin

Congrates, You are going to find a ton of uses for that impact wrench. Just a quick word of warning. When you use it to tighten your lug nuts just snug them up and finish up with a proper torque wrench. Also, next on your wish list might be an air ratchet. They are great for engine and tranny oil pan bolts, fan shrouds, Differential covers, etc etc. A great time saver. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Just a quick note; Air/volt Ingersoll Rand Standard Tool & Equipment ATCOA Craftsman Viking Air Tools Topcat Air Tools All made in America. Choose wisely Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Have done this by hitting a strongarm very sharply with a heavy hammer.Inrtia will snap the bolt loose without turning the crank.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmie

wrap the fan or alternator belt loosely around it untill it 'grabs' itself, then loop it over a convenient bolt or bracket

or if you're REALLY brave, put a breaker bar on it, rest the end of the BB on the frame, and nudge the starter.............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Best I ever read about (but never tried):

Wedge a big screwdriver in the flywheel gear, to keep the engine from turning. Then put a big wrench (or breaker bar) on the center bolt, and put a jack under it - and jack away.

Reply to
Larry A.

Thats the was I used to do it in the 60's and 70's Before I was able to afford an Air Compressor and Then An Air Wrench !

Reply to
no one