used avalanche??

Hey group, I'm looking for a place where I can find out what to look for in a used avalanche? thanks- newbie

Reply to
matthew ducey

Just a guess here...you would look for what you would want in a new one, with the depreciation gone, a little mileage, and a lower monthly payment. But I have found that with the interest rates and rebates the way they are...new is the way to go with just about any vehicle. Plus you get a warranty with a new one that you would have to pay extra for if you wanted it for a used one.

just ma two pennies.....

8up
Reply to
Eightupman

I disagree. The better value overall is almost always in a used vehicle, if you can buy smart. Getting the warranty on the used vehicle is a plus. That said, I've only owned 3 used vehicles and many, many new ones.

I have a 2002 Avalanche -- Look for maintenance records, watch wear indicators on foot brake, steering, etc. Watch for new items that would replace a worn "indicator." It's unlikely you will see such indicators on such a new model.

Check the rear window for damage...check closely and take it out. Remove the mat in the bed and look for any damage. Look closely at the multiple part cover for the back...any damage...any indicator of water in the bed.

Although I have no indications of piston slap, and I haven't heard of any with the Avalanche, you may want to watch for that factor.

Other than that, I can't th>Just a guess here...you would look for what you would want in a new one,

_____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

You said it yourself; "if you can buy smart". I am not saying that the American public is stupid, ,but as a whole most to not care to do the research, or wait out a dealer to get the best deal. Then you have the younger generation that is all about looking good, and what the PAYMENT is, not what kind of value they are getting. You are obviously smart enough to do your homework, and your theory works for you. If the value was there, why did you buy more new than used? Something caught your attention that made the new vehicle a better value at that time.

Reply to
Eightupman

IF you happen to live near a Carmax, that is the only way to go when you buy a used car these days. Anyone who has purchased from Carmax knows what I am talking about.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

NOt at all-- why buy new? Not necessarily based on value. In fact, I suspect the majority of "new" buyers **do not*** consider "value" between used and the new vehicle. They might compare new vehicles and their differences, but most might put off a buy but many won't consider a used vehicle.

They might th>You said it yourself; "if you can buy smart". I am not saying that the

_____________

Tippy

Reply to
tippy

Having been in sales for a new car dealership, I would have to disagree with you there.

Probably 60-80% of the used car departments of the new car dealerships either operate or have tried to operate exactly like 'Carmax' but the buying public just wouldn't accept it. Instead of marking up the car on the lot by $3500, and showing you $1500 more on trade than you car is actually worth; Carmax marks up the car $2500 and gives you actual cash value. They make $500 more than the other new car dealership!

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

Looking like your driving a rubber-soled 'chucks slipper?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

You would be an excellent candidate for public office, running of course on the Democratic ticket.

Hoa

Reply to
Hoa

Democrat my ass! I can't remember the last time I voted for a liberal democrat.

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

All right. That's what I'm looking for, but I as hoping for more. Like the way the old bronco's (or any ford tail gate) would rust out on the bottom. I guess the truck is still to young to have specific areas to watch for.

I'll try to figure out used/new carmax/dealer (yes I'm near a carmax, but they NEVER have an avalanche there. And, on the carmax topic, can they sell a warranty???

Thanks for all your input. Just save me the liberal/conservative crap, the TV gives me enough of that.

Reply to
matthew ducey