Van freezing washer fluid lines

I have a 96 Chevy G10 and I live in the northeast. With the cold we've had last week the washer fluid lines froze, and I couldn't get any fluid onto the windshield.

Any advice for how to keep them from freezing again? I'm using fluid rated for 20 below, and it's staying liquid in the jug out on the porch, but for whatever reason, those sprayers are blocking up.

Today's the first reasonably warm day we've had, and they did thaw out a bit, enough to get fluid up on the windshield again.

Reply to
Peter Cohen

I used to take a flexible gas line (from a Motorbike) and place it somewhere between the washertank and the nozles. Take the extra length and wrap it around the hose wich is leading towards your int. heater. There yuor fluid is being heated so it won't freeze so fast.

Greetings

Marc Heerlen(the Netherlands) K1500 '88 4X4

Reply to
Marc

The way they routed the lines and the nozzle design on the vans is the problem. The black plastic nozzles allow the sun (when it is shining, I haven't seen it in two weeks now is it still there??) or the temperature of the air coming out of the vents from the engine are high enough to cause the alcohol in the washer fluid to evaporate out and leave the water behind. The water then freezes and you have no washer fluid. In the summer the problem doesn't matter because it isn't cold. On mine I tried a bunch of stuff. The only thing that did work was to use them more often, or to heat the fluid a little. Try wrapping a hunk of tubing around the upper radiator hose to heat it some and keep it from freezing.

Reply to
Steve W.