Various Electrical Problems

I'm wondering if anyone else out there is seeing some of these problems. I have a 2001 Silverado LT (2-wheel drive, 5.3l). It has started showing a number of irritating little problems:

- The gas gauge acts funny. If it sit at a traffic light for any length of time, it will suddenly drop to dead empty, and the fuel warning light comes on. When I start moving, it jumps back up to the normal position. I got under the truck and wiggled what I think is the wire leading to the fuel sensor wire, but that didn't seem to help. It did seem to have some play in it.

- Occasionally, operating the electric windows causes the seats to move. Once I was simultaneously lowering one window and raising another. The driver seat started going backwards, and the seatback started raising upright. Another time, just lowering the driver window caused the passenger seat to move forward. This one is not very repeatable.

- The heater will always adjust hotter, but sometimes will not adjust cooler. If I cut the truck off and back on, it usually recovers.

Extra info: The electrical system is not completely stock. I have replaced the factory radio with an after-market unit, and added a small amp/woofer under the back seat. Those mods pre-dated these issues by at least 3 years though. The truck's battery is original, the truck has about 83,000 miles.

Separate question - Several of the "backlight" lights on the climate control assembly are burned out. At night, you can't tell whether you're pushing the button to recirculate cabin air or to let in fresh air. I took the thing apart, but these little bitty lamps look like they are soldered in. I didn't want to pull on one hard enough to rip it out, does anyone know how to replace these lamps?

Any ideas on any of these is appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
dont.bother