Vehicle pricing

I recently bought a new HHR, the decision was made because of looking at a used HHR (2007) and it was only priced $3600 less that the new one. Now for more on the story, several months ago I looked at a couple of local dealers for a HHR. They came back with out the door prices of $19,300 depending on options they were within $150 of being equipped the same. I work for a company that gets a supplier discount, but by the time you add the taxes back in and the title work it almost comes back to the sticker price. I then decided to forget about buying one, just didn't want to put out about $20,000 for a vehicle. I then happened by a local dealer that had a used one for $11,488 and took it for a test drive (overnight). It had the normal chips, scratches, and wear in the fabric, with about 31,000 miles on it. I decided to offer him $11,500 out the door. He had already figured out the whole deal at his asking price and came up with $12,440. I told him I was no longer interested, but on the way out the door I told him I would meet them half way and give them $12,000. The declined the offer. When we got home we started searching the internet, what we found amazed us! The supplier discount that I thought was so good, turns out to be a joke. I found a vehicle at a certain dealership that I could get for $16,409, I asked about the suppliers discount and he said yes he could do that. It would now be $18,040! If I am using suppliers discount I can't use the money credited from my GM card, which in my case was another $1544. So now when it was all added up the $19,300 car that I had priced out before, through GM suppliers discount, is now $16,167 out the door with my GM card savings! That made it only $3600-$3700 more than the used one! I bought it and so far really like it, especially the deal I got. I just couldn't believe there is this much difference in what a dealer would do on pricing. I am not posting the dealers names, but if you want them let me know and I will give them to you! Dealers are from Ohio

Doug

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Doug Adams

You are learning about the pricing policies of the auto manufacturers and dealers. It is not always a pleasant lesson.

Reply to
HLS

Your dealer(s) were trying to screw you. They are reimbursed for the supplier discount....it comes from GM, NOT the dealer. You have every right to expect the dealer to add some additional discount off the supplier net price. If they won't (one told me I couldn't "double dip"), walk away. I bought an HHR, got the supplier discount; the Chevvy end of model year discount AND another $1000 off from the dealer!!! It was a great deal and would up being considerably below the dealer's original cost, due to the heavy GM contributions. Taxes are non-negotiable...but the "processing fees" are nothing but added profit....just like those "super" wax jobs. Either shop for a dealer with low paperwork fees, or negotiate it down.

Reply to
curmudgeon

It took you this long to learn used cars sell for less than new cars??? If you had looked a bit harder, I'll bet you could have found a 2006 that would have been even less expensive.

Hint; The older the vehicle and/or the greater the mileage, the lower the price. Note; The older the vehicle and/or the greater the mileage the sooner they will wear out as well. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

I guess you didn't have a clue what I'm trying to say. You must be an idiot! Read the rest of the story, I didn't say the older one was cheaper, I said it wasn't enough cheaper. Read the whole thing before you respond.

ews=3D=3D----

#1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >1=00,000 Newsgroups

You original posting is a bit confusing and hard to tell what your point is.

Reply to
Gosi

My point was the older vehicle was way over priced for being a year old and

31,000 miles on it (only $3700 less than the new one cost me). The other thing I was telling about is the dealers right around me (within 50 miles) would not come close to the price a dealer that I never did business with did. I got a price a couple months ago from a local dealer for $19,300 and these people give a price of $16,200, quite a difference! Hope this clears everything up. I am very aware that the older the car is the cheaper it is, and also the more miles the cheaper. Although my '55 chevy cost me more than the cars most people drive everyday. I was trying to help some other people out with telling them where the cheaper dealer is. I didn't think I would be getting some "smart" comments! I probably bought and sold more cars in a couple of years than most people buy in their lifetime, so I don't need any "lessons" about which cars are cheaper.

You original posting is a bit confusing and hard to tell what your point is.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Doug Adams

You will have to excuse "Mike Hunt", Doug. His head is firmly stuck up his ass. Don't pay any attention to what he says. No one else does. And congratulations on the truck! Be sure to write up a review and post it, letting us know how it holds up over time.

Reply to
80 Knight

Oh, I forgot to add that "Goshi" is (along with "Jim Higgins") the resident Troll, so pay no attention to him either.

Reply to
80 Knight

Nobody names their kid Mike hunt. Now, York Hunt, maybe.

Reply to
Russg

To valid the point somewhat. I went a local dealer looking for a dodge caravan. Got quoted $22k plus my car as trade. Took a weekend trip to Toronto and dropped into dealer there. Was quoted $18K - no trade. Both quotes on a dodge grand caravan 3.0L v6 with air and AAB package- no other toys.

cselby