Vortec 4.3L V-6 -- Opinions Wanted.

Well why the shit didn't you buy a Hon-duh Accord or a goddamn Saturn Ion if you're going to drive your truck like a passenger vehicle?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Steve, I don't think the tensioner was on the earlier models, Ian can confirm that though...

Reply to
Mike Levy

You are right, Mike. It's only for the 96 models and up.

Rattle Noise in Engine (Install Timing Tensioner Kit) #03-06-01-024B - (Mar

4, 2004) Rattle Noise In Engine (Install Timing Tensioner Kit) 1996-2003 Chevrolet Astro, Blazer, Express, S-10, Silverado 1996-2003 GMC Jimmy, Safari, Savana, Sierra, Sonoma

1996-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

with 4.3L V6 Engine (VINs W, X -- RPOs L35, LU3)

This bulletin is being revised to change warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-01-024A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition Some customers may comment on a rattle-type noise coming from the engine at approximately 1800 to 2200 RPMs.

Cause The spark, rattle-type noise may be caused by torsional vibration of the balance shaft.

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Just so you know I have a 88 S10 with a 4.3 and a 700R4 tranny. Yesterday it just passed 197,000. I have done all the maintenance on it like the manual says. I have had to replace the alt. twice and the water pump once, thats it besides the maint. items. Never had to do a thing to the tranny eather other than regular service. I wish they would put one in the Colorado/Canyon then I would seriously consider buying one.

Reply to
dsheppar1

Boy howdy. I've been chasing that noise since immediately after having the intake manifold resealed. It occurred on the first cold start thereafter and has continued since. Up until just recently, it would present itself after a couple blocks of light throttle and persist unless taken to highway speeds for about 4 miles. Then it'd fade until the next cold start. Seems to be amplifying now. Only occurs when the truck ('95 1500, 2WD, 4.3L V-6, 173k, bought new and otherwise pristine) is in gear and moving. Not in neutral, can't load it on the brake, don't get it with the rear wheels off the ground and spinning at any speed / in any gear. Ergo -> impossible to isolate.

Sounds almost like a lifter noise, but only happens in gear and moving.

The dealer that did the manifold reseal shrugs shoulders. Other dealer troubleshoots, yanks $400, then shrugs shoulders.

The thing is making me nuts. It's like a water torture. Clack-clack-clack. Arrrrggggh.

You've given hope. Thanks. Would you know of any further reading, troubleshooting steps or spirit dance I could perform to confirm the diagnosis?

Milt

Reply to
Milt

This is hard noise to figure out. What I can tell you is that it sounds almost exactly like a catalytic convertor that is coming apart inside. Kinda that tinny exhaust rattle. Guys that have heard a noisy cat will know what I mean. Then, when you get under the vehicle and listen with a stethoscope, you can hear the noise coming from the oil pan area of the engine. It's a rare condition, I think we've only run into a couple of them in the last 3 years.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I think mine has the timing chain tensioner rattle. I replaced the belt tensioner thinking that was the problem. It was shaking like crazy with the engine running, so I figured that was it. Still have the rattle. This is not an issue that can be catostrophic to the engine if not repaired, is it? Hoping not, I don't have the money to drop on a repair like that.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks kindly for the input. This noise sounds 'xactly like a lifter gone bad ... which I'd almost prefer. T'ain't, tho. No noise at any rpm unless it's rolling down the road and in gear. Varies with engine speed, tho I can't tell if it's valve-train speed or crank speed. My tachometer ears have gone south in my old age. Most intense in the 1700 - 2200 rpm range under light throttle. It

Got a wild hair today and changed the oil to a wildly different blend and viscosity, looking for some change, any change. It did change the volume some, and now minimizes after being on the road a bit, as it did originally. Bueno. Will build on that.

Reply to
Milt

Reply to
Mike Powers

Not at all. It's simply annoying. All you are hearing is backlash between the two gears (cam and balance shaft). The tensioner kit simply keeps the cam chain from flopping around and exaggerating the gear backlash noise.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Hey..got this noise in my 1996 V-6 too. It does exactly what you describe, when I am not paying attention and put the 87 octane in. My truck thrives on the 89 octane, and the noise magically goes away with better gas in it...103K miles and chugging towards either a trade in or a V-8 conversion...

Clack-clack-clack.

Reply to
Eightupman

If it goes away with the 89 octane you're hearing spark knock which has nothing to do with the timing chain fix Ian mentioned above in this string. I'd suggest having a closer look-see at the EGR, and maybe a good top-end cleaner as well.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I know that....I went back and reread the string and noticed that I was only looking at the dregs of the message. I figured that had been talked about previously after I hastily posted my message...

Reply to
Eightupman

I have 1991 C1500 with 4.3L and 5 speed manual transmission. I am the 3rd o wner of this truck and bought it for a measly $1600. I'm using it as my dai ly driver around town to deliver furniture. It has over 290K Miles on it. W hen I start it the engine has blue smoke, when parked over night. The engin e has high RPM but than slows when it gets hot. It runs great.

Reply to
jerogt

I wonder if there's some thing you can put in the oil to delay needing a ring job? Marvel Mystery oil or some like that? What have you tried?

. Christ> I have 1991 C1500 with 4.3L and 5 speed manual

transmission. I am the 3rd owner of this truck and bought it for a measly $1600. I'm using it as my daily driver around town to deliver furniture. It has over 290K Miles on it. When I start it the engine has blue smoke, when parked over night. The engine has high RPM but than slows when it gets hot. It runs great.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Valve stem seals are worn. Also sounds like a vacuum leak if it's running fast.

The 4.3 is nothing more than a 5.7 (350) that they removed two cylinders from. They are a good engine but they have the same wear areas.

The seals can be replaced without tearing the engine down. Just need to pull the valve covers.

Reply to
Steve W.

The blue smoke on startup is, 99.99% of the time, due to bad valve seals (and possibly worn guides). The seals can be replaced without removing the heads and os a good place to start.

Reply to
clare

I have a 1993 GMC Jimmy 4DR 4X4. It has 4.3 Vortec V6 and a 4L60E transmiss ion. Its just over 300,000 miles and Ive just pulled the motor to get rebui lt and slightly upgraded. Not due to necesity, but just didnt see the point in puting a motor with that many miles back in the vehicle. The soft plugs in the bell housing began to leak and bad. After going through the trouble to get to the bell housing bolts to get to the problem i was certain, this motor was not going back till it was rebuilt. Still in the middle of that project, just got the motor back this month. Anyway, all im saying is that i wouldnt trade my 4.3 Vortec motor for any V8 (except maybe an LS motor), i love it and its been nothing but dependable, now the same cant be said fo r many other parts of the vehicle. Ive ran into every S/T-series problem kn own to man, all very simple fixes and some/most you can figure out somethin g better that works for the way you use your vehicle anyhow. My really only 3 complains really are (#1: Though ive upgraded my 4L60E, Corvette servo's and stage 1 shift kit and extra clutches (all done by a shop), still want a 5-speed manual, did GM not offer this in the 4DR? (#2: Hate, hate, hate t he ABS brakes, last thing i want is a computer telling me how to brake. AND (#3: The accuator system for the 4X4. Again totaly can make it a way bette r system, they even make kits. Kind sucks there isnt really a way to build a "healthy" motor without turning to a turbo or supercharger, out of the tw o I deffinately would choose the turbo. Done alot of reserch and i think it fits my needs the best. Really like the twin turbo set up, not that i pla n on running 25psi of boost but more than 7 or 8. GM 2 thumbs up on the Vor tec V6, just if you could have put that much reserch and quality into the r est of the S/T- series vehicles. Troy from Oregon.

Reply to
troyydogg