Wants to die off the line.

1988 Chevy C1500, 5.0L, 3Spd Automatic, Extended Cab, Long Box.

It wants to die when I step on the gas from a dead stop. It's fine once I'm moving and seems to run pretty strong for the most part. I have done a tune-up on it with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The fuel filter was done recently and the only thing I can think of is maybe the injectors. But I have no timing light to check the fuel or to check that the timing is accurate.

I might pick up a timing light today but if there is anything else you can think of it would be appreciated.

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The only thing I can think of Ed....is that you've got a 20 year old truck, with a stock 5.0, 350 tranny (most likely), with ALOT of mileage on it.......

and you wanna take line shots with it.

srry......but that's the only thing i think.

you think some more, and do another post aye, then i will think some more and do one too.

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke......mmmmm.......good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I think Marsh Monster needs to cut back on his daily dosage....

All I was saying is that when leaving from a dead stop there is a hesitation. If I wanted the truck to launch I would put a crate stroker in the truck and swap in a Standard tranny.

Now back to the problem at hand ... The hesitation seems to get worse(including stalling) when the gas tank gets below a quarter tank of fuel. Should I be looking at the pump, filter, injectors, or possibly the timing chain? I filled the tank right full and it seems to be not as bad. But there is still a small hesitation.

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Could be carbon deposits. here's a quote from the following url.

"When your vehicle has a rough idle, hesitates, stalls, pings or has an after run problem this is often due to carbon buildup."

Reply to
samstone

View this thread:

Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Could also be a faulty bypass regulator in the TBI. Either can cause low pressure, but most likely the pump. One way to test for low pressure is to temporarily pinch off (or partially pinch off) the return line.

Reply to
cmplx80

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

You "were" NOT saying hesitation....you DID say die. You "have" changed the symptom....and the wording. You "have" added more diagnostic info. You "should" have stated this the first time. You "will" likely post some more pertinent info... IF I CAN KEEP YOU THINK'N!!

:)

anywhooooo...... now that you've thought some more, and added some more.....

lemme tell you what i thunk now....

i thunk....you should hook up a fuel presure gauge. a good'n, not no 20 dollor AutoZonedOut model.

that's what i thunk.

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke......hhhmmmmm....less meds....... hhhhmmmmmmm.....takes another toke........ gooses the throttle on takeoff......pops his fanger off the end of the vac line he stuck in the window~

:) ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster