Warning Chime: Bong! Bong! Bong! etc.

Regarding 2004 Silverado warning chime:

I have heard the warning chime if I open the door with the key in the ignition. This came as no surprise.

The same thing happened when I tried to drive off with the parking brake slightly engaged.

The warning chime startled me after I had forgotten to turn off the turn signal after merging into traffic. According to the owner's manual on page 3-72, the warning chime sounds if the vehicle is driven more than

3/4 of a mile with the turn signal on.

Yesterday the warning chime bonged three or four times. I looked down at the dashboard and noticed that a white light had come on next to the "E" on the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge indicated that the tank was on empty. Within 5 miles, I was at Costco getting gas and the truck took 30.504 gallons. The owner's manual states that the long box truck has a

36-gallon tank, so the "Low Fuel Warning Light" comes on when there are approximately 5 gallons remaining.

The owner's manual makes no mention of a warning chime accompanying the low fuel warning light. On page 3-130, the manual does have a paragraph devoted to adjusting the volume of the "chime producer." However, the manual makes no mention of the specific events which prompt the chime producer to sound.

So my question is: How many other undocumented events are signaled by the warning chime?

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Hi!

It wouldn't be the first mistake to ever be seen in an owner's manual. My dad's '94 Chevy truck manual has quite a few errors...some of them quite severe. For example, there's one sentence where someone obviously didn't cut and paste quite enough...

Another reason this might be--the people who write the firmware are usually not the folks who write the documentation. Discrepancies happen...who's to say that the chime might have been inadvertently left in the program?

Hard telling, but if you really want to know, there's probably a ROM you could pull somewhere and (if you have the skills) read out and find out what all sets the chime off.

Reminds me of a time when Compaq Computer Corp still made their own ROM BIOS. I read in an ancient book on early PCs that the original Compaq luggable had a software-based keyclick that was turned on and off with a special keystroke. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the same keystroke would enable, disable or adjust the volume of the keyclick on desktop machines many years newer but still equipped with a true Compaq BIOS. It was never documented anywhere except this third party book and I'm pretty sure that nobody ever saw fit to remove the code for that function when it was no longer needed or desired.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Wait till you blow a big fart...................goddamn thing's probably going to sound an alarm!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Tell me about it.

My 1990 Scottsdale owner's manual had the part numbers for the twist-in taillight bulbs used in the 1988-1989 full-size trucks. None of them was applicable to the 1990 model, which used push-in bulbs.

The 1990 Helm manual showed the 1988-1989 front end, which had individual high and low beam glass headlights. This was useless information because the 1990 truck had a large, one-piece plastic lens which covered two halogen bulbs.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

I ****HATE***** that warning chime thing. I'm really emphasising the word 'hate' there.

I have a 2004 also. I get it:

- IMMEDIATELY when I insert the key into the ignition with the door open. It doesn't even give me time to turn the key before it gets off two quick "BONGS". This is a problem for me, because 90% of the time I start my truck before I get in. It's just a habbit.

- Immediately after starting the engine, for NO REASON AT ALL, I get four of them.

BONG... BONG... BONG... BONG...

- If I don't get my seatbelt on in time, I get four more in rapid succession.

BONG BONG BONG BONG.

- If my passenger removes her seatbelt when driving.

BONG BONG BONG BONG.

- Any time there is any info displayed to the DIC.

BONG BONG BONG BONG.

For those of you who don't have one of these late model trucks, the freakin chime plays through the drivers door speaker, at a LOUD volume. If you push and hold down button

5 on the radio, you can adjust the volume from "normal LOUD" to "make-your-ears-bleed LOUD". It's really ridiculous.

It should ONLY be used as a warning for leaving the lights on

THAT'S IT.

Supposedly there is a wire you can disconnect in the knee-panel in the dash. I want to do it, but there is a side effect that I can't recall right now.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

I too tried the warning chime volume adjustment (thinking that I could turn it down) only to find out that the chime could only be turned it up -- loud enough to be used as an air raid siren.

I know that the interior lights automatically turn themselves off after a few minutes. I'm not sure if the headlights also turn themselves off automatically. They sure come on often enough by themselves, even when the sun is still shining.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot