Weird Sound

Threaded View

I just had my truck in for repairs (2000 Silverado, 5.3 ext cab). They
turned the rotors, and replaced the front brake pads.
After I got the truck I hear a weird sound coming from the passenger side
under the dash board.
It sounds like running water often when I take off.
Even after stopping for just a while on a red light.
I find it strange that I never heard this before it took the truck in for
the break job but at the same time I can't imagine the dealer tampering with
my vehicle.

What could this be?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Weird Sound

Funny thing... I picked up an '01 Blazer this summer and notice the
same exact thing.  After starting the vehicle, backing out of the
driveway and traveling down my road to a stop sign at the main
highway, I hear this water "trickling" sound as I pull out from the
stop, making a slight uphill right turn onto the highway.  Does it
every time.  I thought maybe it was coolant sloshing around in the
heater core... does that make any sense?

Mark
'01 Blazer LT

Re: Weird Sound

My 03 trailblazer makes sound like that from time to time. I doubt if the
dealer tampered with your truck. You may want to call the dealer and ask
them what the sound is.

Re: Weird Sound

Make sure your cooling system is completly full

Re: Weird Sound

Could you tell me the just of how to do that please?

Thanks

Re: Weird Sound

I can try but I don't know the system configuration on that particular
vehicle.
If the radiator itself has a cap, this would be the one to check, not the
seprate plastic overflow tank.

Re: Weird Sound

Ah, of course.
I will do that.
Thanks

Re: Weird Sound

 A gurgling sound is indicative of air in your cooling system. at best, you
might have to add some antifreeze, at worst there might be a leak that is
letting air in. Step one is to check radiator cap and replace if needed.

Gurgling was the first indication that my water pump was leaking.

Note: air in the cooling system is a bad thing. Rust protection depends on
there being no air.

Re: Weird Sound

Just for the record.....It has NOTHING to do with the brakes.

The other posters have some good ideas.

Re: Weird Sound

Nothing to do with the brakes. With engine cold, remove the radiator cap,
add coolant if
needed. Jack up the front of the truck so that the radiator is the highest
point.
Start the engine with the radiator cap off, and wait till the thermostat
opens.
You will see that, as the coolant will start to flow thru the radiator. If
the coolant drops,
add more coolant, wait until all the bubbles are gone. Then bring up the
engine speed a bit,
add some coolant, and put the radiator cap on while the engine is at  the
higher speed.

If the condition comes back, you have a leak. >

Re: Weird Sound

But the funny thing is that this sound sure sounds like it's coming from
under the passenger side of the dashboard and that's where the fan is.

You still thing it's the radiator?

Re: Weird Sound

Yes, that's where the heater radiator is

Re: Weird Sound

your hearing the bubbling going thru the core!  There should be no air in
the system,
if there is it could cause high temp problems, and maybe failure of the
intake gasket,

big bucks!

Re: Weird Sound

Your Heater Core is located there, it's hooked up to your Engines Coolant
system.  Engine heats the coolant, it runs though your Radiator to cool
down, but some if it runs into your car though a heater core, which is
basically just a mini version of a radiator.  It's Under the dash on the
passenger side inside all the ducting.   When you turn your heater ON, it
opens a valve to allow coolant to flow though it, which heats it up, when
you turn on the fan, it's blowing air though it and then out of whatever
outlets.   If you have Air in your system, you can get all kinds of weird
gurgling noises.   It's just one of those things that it happened after you
had a brake job.  It happens all  the time.  You get you car worked on and
something totally unrelated happens shortly after and then they blame the
person who just worked on your car.   A coolant problem has NOTHING at all
to do with brakes.

I would look in the Overflow tank where you can add more fluid and see if
it's empty, if it is, that's a pretty good general sign that you may have a
problem.  They don't normally just go empty.  You can also Pull off the
Radiator Cap, but ONLY do it when the engine is cool!!!  If you do it when
it's HOT and pull the cap, Coolant will go flying up in your face!!!
Coolant systems are under Pressure!  They are designed that way.  When you
increase the Pressure, you increase the Boiling Point.  When the engine is
cool, it's not under pressure.   After the Cap is Removed, see if it's low.
If it is, and your overflow tank is also empty you may have other problems.
Cracked block, Blown head gasket, etc. Your Coolant is going somewhere.
Sometimes it get's burned  and out the tailpipe giving you white smoke when
you really shouldn't have it, to maybe leaking into the OIL.  Check your
oil.  Is is way past the full mark, and/or a milk shake color?

Maybe it's something simple as your Radiator cap going bad!  That's a cheap
fix.  If someone just flushed your Coolant system recently, I would then
think it wasn't done correctly and that's why your have noises.  Some cars
have bleed screws to get all the air out because the Radiator is lower then
the Top of the engine and so filling up the Radiator would still leave
trapped air in the system.  Normally on a truck or SUV, the top of the
Radiator is higher then the Engine.  Air is going to go to the High part
since it's lighter then water.

Site Timeline