What happened to Quad Steering

I was shopping for a 2500HD today and learned that Quad steering is only available on the 1500 series. That makes no sense to me as the 2500/3500 series trucks doing serious towing are the models most in need of that feature. What is GM thinking?

Reply to
EJGroth

the quadra steer is only available on trucks that were equipped with Dana 60 axles. the 2500's and up have the much stronger 10.5" or 11.5" 14 bolt AAM (American Axle & Manufacturing, used to be Detroit Axle & Gear until GM spun them off about 10 years ago) axles.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ya, I definately wouldn't want that shit on anything that I'd be using to tow large laods with... CV joint's can only be made so strong.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

they don't use CV joints... they use regular old U-joints which are plenty strong as the rear axle can only turn an absolute max of 15 degrees (IIRC).

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ah, never really read much into the quadrasteer and how it was accomplished. Probably caue I believe it's nothing more than useless technology that makes things more complicated than they really need to be. I'd still rather have a solid axle.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

The quad steer also adds a lot of weight to the truck. When it comes to total vehicle weight, you will not be able to carry as much since the truck weighs more.

Reply to
Trey

Honda had it in 1988 in the preludes 4WS, I think they ran it for about 2 to 3 years and dropped it. The best things I found with it was parking and hi speed lane changing, just my 2 bits.

Reply to
pedro