What is the best value for modifications?

96 Silverado 5.0 5 speed

I am thinking about some "enhancments" and I was wondering what some opinions were about the best bang for my bucks. This truck is my daily driver so I do not want much, if any, downtime. I do not want to sacrifice any dependability. I would like to keep this to bolt-ons that I can do in my driveway. I have all the common tools and know how to use them. I used to make my living with them in a previous life. My truck runs pretty well now but it seems like it could be better. I have learned the hard way not to go too far from stock configuration with the daily driver. We all know how fast we can dig a money pit :)

Thanx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

In my opinion, i you haven't got any yet, custom wheels can make your truck totally different.Not very cheap but you'll never change to stock wheels again :)

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone

Mike,

1) Headers (full-length, tri-y are best for trucks) 2) High flow cat(s) 3) High flow muffler(s)

It's the best HP-to-$$$ bolt-on you can do.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I kind of liked the $ per improvement, an electric fan if you don't already have one.

Reply to
David Algie

actually nitrous is, but not a good thing for alot of use.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I would disagree. Headers+performance cats and mufflers are a one time cost and the performance gain is there every damn second the truck is running. Nitrous might be good for a 30 second thrill ride, but after the tank's empty..........................

Nitrous packs more punch than headers and exhaust would, but it is not a cost efficient performance booster for a daily driver. Read his OP.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanx Doc, your opinion concurs with those from other sources. I am not fond of exhaust work though :) Who makes the best systems? I've heard of Gibson. Will my stock computer be able to compensate for the higher flow? Is that a properly phrased question? Thanx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Mike,

I prefer Thorley Tri-Y or Heddman Tork-Step headers. Gibson mufflers are decent as are Flowmaster; it all comes down to what sound you like best and how much $$$ you want to spend on mufflers. The computer should do just fine with the decrease in backpressure.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"