What is the small chip in my 88 1/2 ton ECM?

When I open the access plate on my ECM (1988 chevy 1/2 ton 5.0L) I see 2 removable chips. The large one is obviously an EPROM which I understand contains the tables etc. which tell the ECM how to control the engine. I suppose there is computer code in there also, right? Or is the code in the other, smaller 16 pin chip? What is the purpose of the 16 pin chip?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a stalling problem that follows one of my EPROMs (I have 2 ECMs with chips). The problem does not follow the ECM, only the EPROM. So I'm thinking about getting a speed chip that would theoretically optimize my fuel economy/power, as well as remove any doubts about having a bad EPROM. I'm thinking about getting a KC Speed chip

Opinions?

There's another problem I won't go into rignt now that may be computer related, but it's something I can live with.

Thanks, Dan Hargrave

Reply to
Dan

[...]

Hi!

If you've got any numbers on that mysterious IC, post them or punch them into Google. That should tell you anything about it that you want to know.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

the small chip is called the 'CalPack' (calibration package) chip

the EPROM does not contain all the info, some is in the calpack chip

the calpack also contains 'limp-home' data in case the EPROM crashes

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer