What is YOUR take on this PROBLEM? Help!

2001 K3500 Crew cab 4 x 4, 8.1 Vortec ( Gas ), 98,700 miles Three weeks ago I was driving to a local town (slight incline on road). Truck died for a couple of seconds, message center light came on RED, truck resumed running????????? A week later, sitting at an intersection (Stop light) truck died, again, I tried to start (would not fire, just turned over), got out directed traffic around my stalled vehicle. Got back in, turned the key, re-fired and drove off???????? A few days later, driving to work, truck died AGAIN, like the first time it resumed running after a couple of seconds, message center light RED (again NO codes).

So I call my mechanic, explain the problem to him, I suggest a tune-Up......he says bring it by to run the codes. We run the codes.. NOTHING........he thinks it is a Fuel Pump..........Talks to the shop owner. He says Fuel Pump.............SUPPOSEDLY a problem in 2001 trucks??????

Make appointment to replace Fuel Pump. Pick up truck late Friday afternoon ( long weekend ahead, need truck for work), replaced Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter

  • Labor 5.16. Mechanics says the OLD fuel Pump was drawing 20 amps, when it should of been drawing 10 amps.

Sunday morning heading out on my appointed rounds, TRUCK DIES AGAIN. However, this time it is DEAD for 5 + seconds before it starts running again. ALL three times it has died I have not turned the key to restart. It STOPS RUNNING and then STARTS RUNNING again. I continue on my journey, go to the farm, head home. On the way home, I run across some VERY ROUGH railroad tracks.........I am thinking if there was a loose connection it would DEFINITELY show up here..........everything was fine (anyway the truck kept running).

I call my mechanic at home Sunday (used to be my neighbor).........he says bring it in and he will put the old Fuel Pump back on as that MUST NOT be the problem.

Replaced Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter...............Did NOT fix the PROBLEM!

I know from lurking on this newsgroup there are some pretty talented mechanics...............I NEED YOUR HELP!

Thanks!

Reply to
Larry Keller

I had a similar problem with a Bonneville.

After an exhaustive search, it turned out to be part of the security system.

If an incorrect key (or no key at all) is used to start the vehicle, the security system shuts down the fuel supply to deter theft. If the system is screwed up, you can see where it might exhibit the symptoms you are seeing.

Does your truck's ignition key have the security chip in it? If so, do you have another set of keys that you can use for a while to see if the problem goes away? If it does, you can bet the security chip in your first key is bad.

Reply to
TSC

did they replace the relay, fuse and all the fuel filters when they replaced the fuel pump? I changed all them out when I changed my pump last year...although the pump and relay were 16 years old, the filter was only about 6 months old (I change it yearly, it's inline and cheap).

the issues I had with mine were similar to yours (1989 C1500 4.3 scottsdale). intermittent running, then the pump died. at first the problem was so sporadic and foreign to me. to me it ran like the filter was clogged or the gas had water, so I put in some ISOHEET and changed the filter out a couple of times in a week, it didn't help.

I then went upstream and I did a light rebuild on the TBI (gaskets, fuel pressure regulator and screens). when none of that helped, I employed some buddies to help unbolt the bed and tilt it up in the front so we could replace the fuel pump and sock. that finally worked.

like I mentioned before, I replaced the relay and fuse as well. I figured I might as well start all new, for my truck, when it was all said and done, I spent about $100-$125 for everything I listed above.

Reply to
nanook