What's wrong at GM ?

Is it true that the allowable oil consumption for a chevy/gm motor is

1 quart per 1000 miles? It used to be 1quart per 2000 miles. Just You would have to adding 3 quarts (at the very minimum) between oil changes before it would become a warranty issue. Perhaps some exec figures that gm will be out of the internal combustion engine business soon, so why not reduce the standards, and make more motors, faster.

What are the standards for the other manufacturers?

Mike

Reply to
mike

factor in the piston slap issue:

I could see it happening. The only one who I know of that could give an accurate answer is Ian.

But with GM and the new so called "Hybrid" they are selling, and the hydrogen cars that Honda delivered to California I think we aren't going to be turning wrenches much longer, but be wearing lab coats and speaking muffy and tuffy!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:07:21 -0400, "Refinish King" wrote something wonderfully witty:

The mechanics over in Japan have been wearing white lab coats & gloves for quite awhile now. Semi-funny in a way.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I think you have it backwards. It was a quart (liter) every 1500 klms in the 80's and 90's, and now GM's official position is 1 liter in every

3200 klms. You can do the math. We have 5 Northstars lined up this month to re-ring because of their official position on oil consumption. They are the only motor that we really see with this complaint.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Kind of ironic:

Isn't it?

So have most of the European mechanics for years also.

Another place we're left behind?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

The only thing I want to get from any euro-trash or japs is the metric system. Only good thing. The only thing I can say I don't like about my V1500 Jimmy is that you can find a single job the requires both metric & standard tools to do the job. Metric is a much smarter system (which Thomas Jefferson wanted us to adopt) then the English system as well. But either way I really wouldn't care, just so long as EVERYTHING on the vehicle was the same!

~KJ the irate LGM

Reply to
KJ