What size hex driver for '98 GMC C1500 front brake caliper?

....or am I better off getting the whole set? asked Huck

Reply to
Huck Palmatier

Mike Levy

Mike....

I worked on a mid- 80's Olds 98 the other day... and it used the T-50 star....

I had thought they were all 3/8" too! Please post if you read of some other sizes for GM.

Thanks...

Jack

Mike Levy wrote:

Reply to
Jack

When I did the ones on my 3/4 ton van the other day, I had to get an allen socket. The parts store looked up the size in their computer. Perhaps you should ask them what their system says your truck needs.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

And this is probably the BEST idea. I did suggest that the OP ask when they went for the pads. That's how I found out what size I needed, first time I did the brakes on my truck I did just that, asked when I went for the pads, they led me right to the tool aisle and pulled the one I needed...

Reply to
Mike Levy

you cant go wrong with more tools.

Reply to
Michael Dohman

Mike,

That's what we did too... but the guys at AutoZone said that they couldn't come up w/ that info in their store! My friend and I thought that this was a weak spot for AZ... but oh well!

Jack

Mike Levy wrote:

Reply to
Jack

Michael,

Would you please call my better half and relay to her these words of great wisdom?! :)

Jack

Michael Dohman wrote:

Reply to
Jack

I got that service at Advance Autoparts. Auto Zone isn't an easily-accessible store anymore. I have to go into the "inner city" of a city 20 mins. away to get to one, they closed the other 2 locations and kept what I felt was the worst of the stores open.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Mike....

Thanks for the input. I wish Advance Auto Parts would then come to our neck of the woods!

Wouldn't you think that they could have went and opened up a new caliper box on their shelf for this vehicle and at least physcially looked at the size... or do you think that I would have been asking too much for customer service?

Jack

Mike Levy wrote:

Reply to
Jack

You don't get the bolts with calipers.

Reply to
John Alt

Advance runs a great business. I've had excellent service from them no matter which store (or which state) I've stopped.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

John Alt wrote:>>

Well then... that makes a difference! :) Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
Jack

============================ Hey, at least they didn't say "take the bolt off, bring it down, and we'll find the right socket" LOL

Reply to
Scott

I dunno. Could be that I happened to get a guy that knew what he was talking about, though they've usually come out from behind the counter and helped me find what I was looking for if I needed help.

The first time I was there for that item, I knew what size I needed, since I destroyed a regular allen wrench trying to undo the calipers on a friend's car. Turns out it was the same size for mine, but I needed the tool for my own collection...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Yes.... getting someone who -wants- to help is a big factor! We just ended up buying a whole set T"#'s and let it go at that. My smaller size selection just didn't get it. Another commenter said that the bolts didn't come w/ the calipers... but you'd think they could order the bolts ( maybe not ).. and even if they could, I reckon they wouldn't necessarily give ya' the size of the T-star! It was meant for us to buy more tools that day! :) Jack

Mike Levy wrote:

Reply to
Jack

wow...thanks for the input.....BTW it was 3/8 ". s/Huck

Reply to
Huck Palmatier