When managing fluids . . .

Do you cool the oil then filter or filter then cool? Is it the same with ATF? Thinking about adding external coolers and/or filters. Al

PS: Is there such a thing as a radiator fin straightener?

Reply to
Al Hartkopf

I would say cool engine oil before the filter, but only because filtered oil should procede directly to the crank as soon as possible.

Can't say but you have little choice where to take atf oil from.

Home air conditioner service use a metal comb to straighten fins. Auto rads you pretty well have to just use a pointed awl. Broken dental tools work well, ask your dentist for some. small flat jewlery pliers do a good job of straightening them once they are seperated. B

Reply to
Battleax

Actually, they sell a rad fin straightener at most auto supply places. It looks like a 3-sided comb and has a handle to it...lemme see if I can't find you a pic.

here ya go:

THis one has 6 sides, my bad.

Reply to
GaWd

Yep, although I can't see how this would straighten fins on a rad that has the passage tubes flush with the outside edge of the fins. I guess you try and work it in but you'd probably have to at least stand the fins up a bit to allow the teeth of the tool between the fins to begin with. It would work very well with a rad with tubular passages that sit back from the face of the rad, like an oil or trans cooler. B

Reply to
Battleax

It's in with the AC products. From the tool's description: "Use our handy six-in-one straightener to clean and straighten condenser and evaporator coil fins."

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

Couldn't tell ya how to use it. You asked if there was a tool and I posted a link to one.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Honestly, I couldn't see very much difference if you cooled then filtered, or filtered then cooled. Seems to me one order couldn't be much better than the other.

Reply to
twins0203

You'll get less pressure drop across the filter element if you filter on the hot side of the cooler. There may be a low enough pressure drop across the filter cold that the difference is insignificant.

-RC

R.Clarke spam snipped-for-privacy@BlocKmindspring.com RTP, NC, USA

Reply to
R Clarke