Where do they come from?

Picture this after lunch in a busy shop (dealership) almost 90 outside got an intake off of a malibu a woman comes in with a vibration and a wind noise and a water leak.Warrentys about up and demands we fix it .My luck I get the ro test drive the car 2002 Camero no vibration the wind noise was her rightside window was cracked a little rolled up the window WOW stopped the problem tested the cooling system it past ok went and got the lady told her her window was down which made the wind noise she was irrate said I was calling her an idiot asked her to show me where the water was leaking it turned out to be Ac drain and asked her at what speed does the car vibrate and she told me at 85mph!!!!!!!!!!!There should be a test before people are allowed to even own a car needless to say there went 45mins and the lady left and still wasnt happy.Where do these people comefrom??????lol sorry had to get that off my chest.oh by the way yes we have idiot servicewriters which is the reason I even recieved it.what a day lol

Reply to
Steve Cook

There was a guy who parked his new 'vette in front of the local dealer with a big sign advising potential customers not to buy their Chevy at that dealer. His dissatisfaction was that they refused to repair his "high speed shimmy". Turns out that he had vibration at speeds above 120 mph and was not happy about it. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Well it is supposed to be a fast high performance car isnt it? that would explain why he had to pay so many big bucks for it i would think.

I would want that fixed too !!

Why wouldnt they fix it ?

a wobble at 120 mph would be quite bothersome in a high performance car which should be fully capable of such speeds !

I would be also very pisst off at the dealer who refused to fix such a safety issue !!

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

I really hope you are joking! If not....

1) How do you prove the problem exists without breaking the law and endangering the public? Going 120 mph on a public road is a criminal act, not just a traffic violation. 2)How does the service dept test it after repairs without breaking the law and endangering the public? 3) Are you suggesting it is ok to drive at this speed on the highway? Or, just in school zones? 4) The dealership would be open to unlimited liability if they even tried to fix the alleged problem. 5) How is the owner qualified to make a judgement of a percieved problem at 120 mph? 6) If the vehicle works as advertised in all legal situations the seller is not liable at all. The seller is not obligated to fix an alleged problem that occurs when the vehicle is used to commit a criminal act any more than firearms dealers are responsible for the criminal misuse of firearms or brewers and distillers are responsible for drunk driving. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

If I owned a Corvette, I would take it to the track every chance I had. While on the track I am sure a car with such power would exceed 120 MPH. I am sure its a safe assumption that he is, in fact, doing 120 on public roads, but there are many that do take their car to the track for club racing on the weekends.

Reply to
Trey

And in those cases, I would imagine the warranty becomes void. Read the fine print on the warranty, I bet it ecludes problems as a result of racing the vehicle, even if it IS a high-performance vehicle...

Reply to
Mike Levy

I really hope you are joking! If not ... every vehicle on public rights of way should be speed limited (governed) to the speed limit on that highway. With what they are trying to get into the OBDIII spec., this is already being made technically possible. After all, driving is a priviledge, not a right, so they impose whatever regulation they see fit.

null

Reply to
null

Regardless, there's lots of places you can go that speed (for a short time) quite safely

When I worked in a BMW shop we never had a problem testing cars at over

120mph if required.

Of course school zones are preferable, but a deserted stretch of freeway or highway will do just fine

This is simply incorrect. The dealer should check tire balance, tire condition, and suspension/alignment.

Well if you feel an unusual vibration at 120mph in a car that should cruise easily at 150mph, then there's a problem

So if this vette runs and handles like crap at 70mph then it's not an issue for the dealer to rectify? What color is the sky in your world? B

Reply to
Battleax

I agree. Those are respsonible people. They have their cars set up for the track. They don't whine to the dealer. They understand that the dealer is not responsible for performance on the track. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

but not legally

I'm sure it was on an approved track.

Lucky you still have your license. That will land you in jail here.

Of course, but the dealer can only be responsible for proper operation under legal conditions.

Maybe, but it is not a warranty issue.

70 mph is a legal speed around here. I'm sure the dealer would fix that issue.
Reply to
Mike Copeland

In Wy. or somewhere up there didn't they change the speed limit in some area to none?

I know that if I bought a Camero or a corvette I would want it to do a

100mph with no problems. My Malibu shakes like crazy at 85mph to 95mph but evens out at a 100mph don't know about higher then that the governor kicks in about 105mph. I is legal driving this fast in the most of the location that I drive that fast.

as for the governor at say 75mph I don't think that shouldn't. I normally drive about 85mph on the toll road.

ciao

Reply to
bubba in italy

. Where do they come from? (words in parenthesis added by Scribb Abel)

(after one too many "All Knowing" customers........) On Thu, Sep 18, 2003, 9:27pm The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve=A0Cook) unloaded on the room with this..........

Picture this after lunch in a busy shop, dealership, almost 90 outside, got an intake off of a malibu, a woman comes in with a vibration and a wind noise and a water leak.

Warrentys about up and demands we fix it .

My luck I get the ro test drive the car 2002 Camero no vibration the wind noise was her rightside window was cracked a little rolled up the window WOW stopped the problem tested the cooling system it past ok went and got the lady

........ (diagnosis) told her her window was down which made the wind noise

(cussimer response) she was irrate said I was calling her an idiot .......

..... (top tech diagnosis technique) asked her to show me where the water was leaking

(diagnosis) it turned out to be Ac drain .......

...... (top tech diagnosis technique) and asked her at what speed does the car vibrate

(cussimer response) and she told me at 85mph!!!!!!!!!!! .......

(top tech response to ignorant cussimers) There should be a test before people are allowed to even own a car needless to say there went 45mins and the lady left and still wasnt happy.

(top tech trying to maintain composure) Where do these people come from??????

lol sorry had to get that off my chest.

oh by the way...... yes we have idiot service writers which is the reason I even recieved it.

(top tech feeling a little better now) what a day lol =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Steve, have a beer.......

and tommorow.....mess with the service manager. On your first warranty ticket for the day, find a critical problem in an area that is way out of line with the customers complaint. (fix the complaint first)

Another "vibration" would be good.......a nice cup of coffee on the test drive....maybe stop at the store for a donought......... Get back to the shop and tell him you fixed the vibration on the test drive......take a bite of the donought while your talking to him. When he asks what the prob was.....(while he's eyeballing your doughnut and his lips is uh water'n).........tell him the hub cap was loose and walk away.

Scrib Abell ~~customer service expert~~

utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............

the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Montana, but I think it has since changed.

Any car manufacturer should make sure that their vehicals are in good opperation condition at any speed that vehical can go. If they are not going to waranty a car for what it does at 120, then what are they doing making a car that can go 120? They can simply sell a warantyed version that is limited to 75, and a non-waranty version that is not limited to 75.

Same here. I will cruise at 85-100 every day on my way to and from work (traffic and weather permitting) and NO I do not split lanes at 85 on my bike. I just camp out in the carpool (HOV) lane.

Reply to
Trey

Montana has a "reasonable limit" which is the state police's discretion. It really depends on the state of traffic, the time of day, and weather conditions. If it's a bright, sun shiny day and there's not much traffic around, they'll let you cruise @ 90mph, but I wouldn't push it more than that.

Reply to
KB

Since this is all theoretical (her legality of driving, and whether or not she takes it to the track to find the alleged 120 mph shimmy), what if she's a service woman headed for Europe? I *certainly* wouldn't trust a German shop (or even worse, an on Base shop) to try to repair my Corvette, and I

*certainly* would want to cruise the Autobahn with my Corvette.

I don't think it's wrong of people to request a dealer to repair a problem they've found with a vehicle. I had hell trying to get Chevy to even try to find the clunk that my '99 Cavy was doing on traction changes under power (brake or throttle) after they'd replaced my rack 4 times - so I took the service writer out on a test drive, and had to beat the living hell out of my car to get it to do it for him, to which he simply responded, "these aren't normal driving conditions". I found another dealership that had a quality service department, and they fixed the problem.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Just my own personal opinion, but if I payed out the 60 grand or whatever a new Vette is worth these days, I wouldnt give a flying frig about speed limits, I would want the car to ride and handle properly at any spedd that it is capable of travelling. If it was engineered to be capable of 190 miles an hour, it beter be a safe machine at that speed no matter what signs are posted beside the road or track it is on. human error and mechanical error are two differrent issues.

I bet the ferrarri company would service such a complaint, or porsche or bmw or even harley .

I would feel that i had payed many many thousands of dollars for a car that is engineered and manufactured to be capable of high speeds, and I would demand that from the dealer who sold me the high performance auto. Sounds like a case of a low performance auto dealer selling high performance products, and backing them with low performance service.

If you paid all that money foe a vette, would you cap it to 70 all the time? get real !

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

"Buzz Lightyear" wrote

I'll agree with Steve.....I won't rd test any vehicle over the legal speed limit. I just throw it back to a shop foreman, if they want to rd test it up to 100 mph or whatever, they are welcome to. Then they can come back, tell me what they would like me to do (balance tires, check suspension...etc) and I'm happy to do that. Then they get to take the vehicle back out and rd test it at whatever speed they want.

I don't really give a damn what the customer bought and paid for. I'm not going to rd test the vehicle over the legal speed limit and possibly get a ticket. Simple as that. GM can send a special "rd tester" down to the dealership for all I care.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"Steve Cook" wrote

Geez, and right while you are right in the middle of a nice gravy job, eh?

I hear you.....we have the same things happening at our dealership. I got an RO the other day that had this line on it: "please find and print out bulletin about piston noise in 2002 truck for customer". I had a few words with the service advisor and front counter staff about the fact that doing this is not in my "job description". I also don't do "illegal road tests".

By the way, you won't get much sympathy in these newsgroups when you relate problems that you have as a dealership tech. Most people in here seem to think that we should just do whatever the customer wants and be happy with it. But I can relate to this stuff.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

OK guys if you want your hi pro car tested at those speeds and you paid more money than most houses then why dont you take it to the manufacture they have all the equiptment for testing cars at those speeds and rates im not going above and beyond the call of duty if on the other end it costs me a ticket for speeding or an accident.HEY BY THE WAY I was just trying to settle a dispute about why people come into shops dealer or the backyard shops with bogus complaints when its mostly common since we started off talking about a 6cyl malibu now were on hi pro vets? doing what the customer wants done is not a problem but when you chance putting yourself at risk the customers money means nothing.The way I see it if you dont race your car why even run something so fast if your not going to put wings on it and fly it ?

Reply to
Steve Cook

$0.02

If the speedo says 150, not only should it do 150+, but should be serviced for all problems up to 150. If they only want to service problems up to

65mph, than only make the speedo go to 65.

There are legal ways to break the ton, BTW

$0.02

Reply to
KJ