Where is this oil leak coming from? (96 S-10 4 cyl)

Just noticed my S-10 engine is leaking oil from the front of the engine somewhere.

Truck has 152,000 miles and has always been well maintained, no real problems to date.

Any guesses what this is from and how much it will cost to fix?

thanks,

Bud Jr.

Reply to
Bud Lite

Could be oil pan, valve cover gasket................wanna be more specific?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

. . . snipped-for-privacy@netcontacts.com (Bud=A0Lite) asks......

Just noticed my S-10 engine is leaking oil from the front of the engine somewhere. Truck has 152,000 miles and has always been well maintained, no real problems to date.

Any guesses what this is from and how much it will cost to fix?

thanks, Bud Jr. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Junior, guesses???

sure.....I'll take a guess.

it's the failure of the thermoplastic sealing medium that's causing all your troubles.

and.....I guess.....it's gonna cost a bit to remedy.

jest a guess mind you,

marshmunster ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Looked up close tonite again, looks like the main engine seal in front. Probably will have to take it in next week. Probably will get hosed on this.

thanks, Bud Jr. ======== ======== Junior, guesses???

sure.....I'll take a guess.

it's the failure of the thermoplastic sealing medium that's causing all your troubles.

and.....I guess.....it's gonna cost a bit to remedy.

jest a guess mind you,

marshmunster ~:~ ====== ======

Reply to
Bud Lite

It's not a chevy if it doesn't pour oil out at 50% of the rate that it is poured in. How bad is it really? Oil is pretty damn cheap....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Chevy's don't leak, they "mark their territory." Mine leaves a few drops of ATF wherever I go....he he he he he he.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Mine is creating a super fund site (via atf leaking from cooler [brake] lines) at work... bout a pint to a quart a week... I *think* I tightened it a few weeks ago when the lines were just constantly wet, but it got worse - so I think I had a brain fart and loosened it? Constant drip (like every couple seconds). But I haven't had access to a garage and don't feel like getting wet & cold. Even then, if I tightened it what else can I do? I've been told not to put teflon tape on them...[via this group]. I dunno if it's because their brake lines, but the attachment to the cooler doesn't leak 1 bit...

~KJ~

message

Reply to
KJ

Little hint for you KJ. It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. If you have a question ask it.... but quit trying to impress everyone with your knowledge because.... well you don't have any. ATF leaking from a brake cooler line.....sheeesh. How clueless can one guy get? Bob

Reply to
Bob

About a clueless as YOU. Obviously I got replacement BRAKE lines, IE lines meant to be used to REPLACE A BRAKE LINE and used them as the HIGH-PRESSURE transmission cooler lines.

Bob, your a regular genius.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

check your pvc valve. with all those miles it could be clogged. todays engines need good crankcase ventilation and vacuum to keep internal pressure down. i would say you have a (internal pressure) leak. bet this fixes your prob...good luck...ee

Reply to
Eee Eee

KJ says: About a clueless as YOU. Obviously I got replacement BRAKE lines, IE lines meant to be used to REPLACE A BRAKE LINE and used them as the HIGH-PRESSURE transmission cooler lines. Bob, your a regular genius. Bob says: *silence* KJ says: Interesting...... are you looking to just be thought a, or are you going to remove all doubt?

~KJ~

HIGH-PRESSURE

Reply to
KJ

HIGH-PRESSURE

Reply to
Bob

Gave em' both barrels on that one Bob! Niiiiiicccccceeeee. Regarding the lines, I'll bet he didn't bend em' just right and the flares are all c*ck-eyed within the nut.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Bad guess dude. Excess pressure will just come out of the breather line. The PCV is there to keep the air moving, NOT release pressure.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

hahahahahaaa!! is your name doc or dork?

u better read up a lil' more doctor dorkieo! the pvc goes directly to the base of the carb or throttel body via the valvecover where it creates 17+ lb's of vacume to the crankcase releasing all pressure inside. especially at high rpm's.

all i need in here is some moron like u that doesn't know over from up...sheesh!

Reply to
Eee Eee

Regarding

Or maybe his nuts are cross threaded....

Reply to
Bob

ha ha ha

the joke's on you, dick-wad

in 'normal' mode, air enters one valve cover thru the tube from the air cleaner housing, circulates thru the crankcase, and is sucked thru the PCV and into the intake and any blow-by is burned

there can be no '17+ lbs of vacuum' ( a phyical impossibility, since normal atmopspheric pressure is only 14.7 psi, and to create '17+ lbs' would require a pump capable of creating 2.3 pounds of vacuum beyond 'a pefect vaccum') with one side of the circuit open to atmosphere

under heavy throttle, blow-by exceeds the capacity of the PCV valve, and blow-by products are pulled into the air cleaner housing as well as thru the PCV valve

now, go away, lest I taunt you a second time !

Reply to
TransSurgeon

"throttel?"

"valvecover?"

"17+ lb's of vacume?" heh-heh... not on this planet!

Uh, no... All the PCV does is create a slight negative pressure via a metered vacuum leak which in turn allows Positive air pressure to flow into the breather to Ventilate the Crank case. Both the PCV valve -and- the breather would have to be totally plugged for any appreciable pressure to develop in the crank case. IOWs, "Doc" is 100% correct though he could have dummied up for a little longer since it -was- becoming quite fun reading all the erronious theories.

Looks like you have it covered. Or, on the other hand, you can attempt an explanation of how a PCV system works on a Diesel engine considering that there is no intake manifold vacuum on a Diesel engine. Then there's the GM "Quad 4" engine which doesn't have a PCV valve...

Reply to
Neil Nelson
2 doctor dorkieos in here. shade tree mechan-iacs... 1 calln' me his moms name.... thats cute :)

u guys work on go-carts huh.

sounds like it.

Reply to
Eee Eee

damn, I hate it when that happens............

Reply to
TransSurgeon