Where to connect tach on '91 Sonoma pickup 2.8L ?

I have the shop manual and the wiring manual, but can't seem to figure out where to connect the signal wire for the tach.

It's an ignition tach, instructions say to connect to the coil negative.

The coil assembly has 4 wires on a dual 2-pin connector. It has pink and white wires on one side and pink and black wires on the other. Unfortunately the wiring manual says BOTH connectors have a pink and a white wire. That just ain't so.

I'm hoping that the signal wire goes into the cab so I can tap it there. One of the wires does go into the cab (according to the manual anyway), ckt 121-.8 which goes to connector C101 in the cab.

The digital instrument cluster version of this truck has a tach, my analog does not. According to the wring manual, ckt 121 is not present past connector C101 inside the cab for the analog panel. I'm hoping that means that ckt 121 is the tach signal that my analog panel doesn't need, so I can just wire my new tach into that pin.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

I'd just find a digital panel in a junkyard, but I already -have- the tach.

Thanks all! Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Mike Patterson

The white wire is usually the tach signal.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks! I'll investigate in that direction.