Which code reader to buy??

I would like to buy a code reader for Chevy and GMC trucks. Home shop. Any suggestions??

Reply to
Chief McGee

One BIG question. What do you want to be able to do?

For OBDII ONLY. If you just want to display and erase the codes, nothing else, Then something like an Actron PocketScan will do that, AND ONLY THAT.

If just reading the ENGINE codes, No ABS, Airbag, or Transmission codes and want the machine to define the codes and you want to read live data . A unit like an Actron SuperAutoScanner will do that. It will also work with older vehicles if you buy the extra cables (if you think you may need the extra abilities buy the 9150 since it is cheaper for the entire kit than the separate cables)

Now if you want to get more advanced and be able to read codes from Engine, ABS, Airbags and transmissions your looking at a MAJOR price increase. However consider what you would be paying a dealer to use the same tool and do the repair and decide yourself if you feel you might want to DIY. If so you WILL need a scanner that allows you to command items to open/close or turn on/off and none of the low end units can do that.

One other MAJOR thing to keep in mind is that ANY scanner is a DIAGNOSTIC AID not a silver bullet cure. It will tell you what the code stored in the computer is, and what it means. It is still up to you to interpret that data and check the system. There are a LOT of codes that can have root causes other than the item the code says is the problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

I have a honda Civic 99 Lx and I bought the Actron CP9180 AutoScanner Plus. It was about $US 150 I think.

I managed to diagnose an issue, faulty wiring harness causing sensor wires to rub against fan belt. I cliped my wires back and the dreaded CHeck Engine light when off.

Saved me a few bucks. Ended up checking guys cars at work as well ....

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

Hi!

If all you need is a basic reader/eraser, Harbor Freight Tools seems to have a good one for about $50. It's a plastic orange thing with cable, two buttons and a dual line LCD display...seems to be surprisingly well made. I've used mine on GM and Chrysler products with no problems, although the communication protocol used by Chrysler takes longer for the unit to detect.

This unit also comes with a printed manual and a CD-ROM containing a PDF with the codes in it as well.

They sell at least one fancier model with a serial port, but I don't know how well it works or what more it might do, other than allow you to plug a computer into it.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh