whinning noise after pinion seal replaced

Two things, I have almost 300,000 K's on the rear end, but no noise out of it till they replaced the pinion seal. I am going to have the cover off tomorrow, hopeing it is diff bearings only. It only whins when I pressure on the gas pedal, take of the gas and no noise. Also the mechanic has put in 2 pinion seals and they both leak after about

3000 K's. Either wrong seal,or has not cleaned the housing or the shaft has a grove in it. Can I buy a spacer that moves the lip of the seal into a different location, or just replace the crown and pinion seal, which I hope not to. Also what are the torque spec's on the pinion nut after replacing the seal.
Reply to
pedro

One easy way would be to get another yoke from the boneyard, one with less wear in the seal lip area.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

The pinion-ring gear alignment probably changed a little upon re-assembly.

BTDT with my rear wheel seals - - no spacer needed. Coat the outer rim of the seal with RTV before inserting it into the housing. Oil will leak around the outside (metal) part of the seal and the housing.

Well, there are torque specs which are listed in the GMC/Chevy service manuals. For my GMC 1987 1 ton rear it's something like 325 ft-lbs; for a 1977 1/2 ton, it's 225 ft-lbs. Also be prepared to get used to it sounding differently than before. These things happen no matter how careful the mechanic is.

GM also advises that you can mark the nut, remove yoke, apply a new seal, and reinstall the yoke and tighten the nut until the marks re-match, PROVIDED you don't change or loosen anything else. I also have to fix a leaking seal on my differential, and this is what some research has turned up. And since I don't have a rack where I can make room to swing my 3/4" torque wrench (or use a torque multiplier) . . .

If the seal surface on the yoke is bad, and you can't find another with a good sealing surface, measure it with a vernier caliper or micrometer, get a Speedi Sleeve, and put it on. The Speedi Sleeve is a driving fit, so it will slightly smaller than the seal surface itself. You will also probably have to modify the application tool included in the box.

Pete

Reply to
Pete