Will a cap from a dodge fit my truck

There is a leer cap for sale locally, model 122 in the right color for my truck(89 gmc k3500 longbed ex-cab). It's off a 1988 dodge longbed. The dimensions are 71.5 x 100 according to the guy selling it. I went out and measured and the length seems right on, it's a little wide, within an inch anyway. Has anyone ever used a cap off of one brand truck on another? Just curious before I go and do a test fit b/c it's almost an hour away. I've been looking for just this model for a while and haven't seen a single one for sale near me for a chevy. Supposed to go look at it this afternoon, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
89GMC

If you're willing to make spacers you can make any cap "fit" on any truck. Appearance is another matter.

Reply to
nonsense

Put a cap off a Ford on a 79 Chevy years ago. It was a "Gem Top." Went right on, later I put it on my 90 Dodge, again no problem.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks for all the replies guys, this one doesn't look too angled toward the cab, so i might be ok. Yeah looks are not a huge concern here, i figure it's gonna overhang 1/2-3/4 of an inch on either side of the bed, but to be honest i can live with that. If anyone else has any other comments post em up, not going for a few more hours. Glad to hear someone else has moved one from truck to truck.

Thanks Ed

Reply to
89GMC

My father bought me a gray aluminum cap for my Toyota truck. It was gray also. The truck was wrecked., and totaled. The cap survived with minor damage. Fixed, I transferred it to my 91 S-10. When that truck wore out. I put it on my 2,001 S-10. Both were red.

Reply to
4546

For posterity, the cap did not fit. The front was a perfect fit, length was right on, but in the back it didn't taper at all, so it was so much wider that it wouldn't even stay up on the rails but kept sliding down the bed sides on both sides. Knew I had a 50/50 shot going in, so back to hounding craigslist :-) Thanks again to all who replied.

Ed

Reply to
89GMC