Will chip help 2002 GMC Sierra?

I just purchased a 2002 GMC Sierra extended cab 2WD with 5.3L. Has anyone had experience with performance chips working. I'm most interested in low end and mileage as I tow our jet skis to the lake.

Reply to
mikeh

There is no such beast anymore, there are "tuners" where you can change the parameters. How much do these jet skies weigh that you need more power out of your engine?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

He said mileage not power.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sure looks like he is interested in increasing power in the low end to me, mileage as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Hypertech or superchips make power programmers that will do the trick. also try some hi flo mufflers and mandrel bent exhaust, try magnaflow for some mufflers the flow with out making alot of noise...if you don't mind noise try hi flow cats. mate all this with a K&N air filter and or cold air intake and you'll have a healthy increase in horsepower,torque and fuel efficiency when cruising. try SummitRacing.com or jegs.com for prices....i did a 04 ford F150 for my nephew with all this and it made that truck pull like a big block muscle car, but it doesn't break the bank at the pumps( unless your out playing in which case it burns up gas and tires)

Reply to
taz

Answers to questions posted:

  1. Jet skis weigh around 1,500 lbs on trailer and two stand ups in the bed which weigh about 600 lbs.

  1. I guess I'm looking for both mileage and low end, mileage probably being number one.

  2. I'm going to look into dual exhaust and I've looked into the K&N filters. I have been told that they do what they claim but will probably shorten the engine life due to letting more dirt, etc into the motor. Has anyone heard similiar?

Thanks

Reply to
mikeh

I don't know about the dirt aspect, my S-10 Blazer has been running one for almost 150,000 miles, she has 257,000 on the odometer now. That said its a throttle body system, and as such does not have a Mass Air Flow Sensor. It has been reported, and I believe these reports, that the oil from the filter messes them up. Low end, it hasn't helped my rig at all, but then the stock filter flows more than enough at low rpm. At highway speeds it did make a difference, and since most of my driving was highway it worked for me. These things are designed to flow more at high RPM. If you want low end grunt, don't go dual exhaust ether. Radically lowering back pressure is great, if your talking 1/4 mile drag strip, and rpms above 5,000, and high stall converters In the 900 to 1,800 rpm range you loose oomph, as well as fuel mileage drops.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning