Will my tires really explode?

I have an '88 Suburban R20 with Big O tires, don't remember the size, but they're factory spec'd Load Range E. I've been keeping them at 80 psi (figure I'd get the best mpg that way, and I don't tow). One was getting low, so I had my wife take them into Big O to be filled (I haven't yet found a gas station in the Vegas area with a working air compressor). The guy said he would fill them only to 65psi because in the Vegas heat, 80psi would cause them to explode.

Does this guy know what he's talking about?

Thanks

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Jason

I don't know about the exploding of your tires at 80 psi, but you will not get the best mileage from them running at the max. pressure as if you were hauling the max. weight for your truck. To get the right pressure for your weight you must weight the front and rear axles and use the load tables. Check out these load tables here:

You will have a muchbetter ride also with the tires at theproper pressure for you weight.Good luck, MR

Reply to
MR

Whether it "explodes" or rapidly looses air (blowout) you still have a catastrophic situation, so the difference between the two is irrelevant. B

Reply to
Battleax

Actually, my real question should be restated. If the tire is rated for 80 PSI (I've always been told to check it cold), then the tire should be designed to handle the increased presure when it heats up, even if ambient is 120+ outside. I understand that the guy used the term explode to scare my wife, and that a blowout is probably what he meant, but the question still stands. Am I setting myself up for a "blowout" by using the maximum rated presure, and coming nowhere near the load rating?

Jason

Reply to
Jason

they are stock size) (usually it shows there or the manual) The psi on the tire is the MAX and is most likely too much air. Check them cold. They wont explode if you dont go over max but they will wear out in the center and ride rough with too much air for the weight of the truck . So, in a nut shell, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

p.s I wouldnt check them cold in the north pole, then drive it down to vegas and expect them to be right. Its a relative thing, you know? Cold right now in vegas is about 100, when they say check them cold it means dont check them after driving on them. If you put them on ice for a while, then fill them to 80, then drive them on the highway for a while they will have way too much air...does that make since. OK I'll shut up now. :)

Reply to
Scott M

That makes sense, I understand that cold means sitting in the ambient environment, warm is up to operating temp. I guess 65 psi is about right then.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Ok if you put it like that i guess that qualifies as an explosion :) I've seen it happen on big trucks from time to time, must be a real scare when you're driving that thing and it happens if you ask me.

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone
1.. To release mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy by the sudden production of gases in a confined space: The bomb exploded. 2.. To burst violently as a result of internal pressure. 3.. To shatter with a loud noise: The vase exploded into tiny pieces when it hit the floor. 4.. To make an emotional outburst: My neighbor exploded in rage at the trespassers. 5.. To increase suddenly, sharply, and without control: The population level in this area has exploded during the past 12 years. 6.. To change state or appearance suddenly: Over the weekend the trees exploded with color. 7.. Sports. To hit a golf ball out of a sand trap with a shot that scatters the sand. See #2. Doesn't say with or without a liner. From Webster's definition of "explode"
Reply to
Steve Barker

Again from Webster's.

explosion

\Ex*plo"sion\, n. [L. explosio a driving off by clapping: cf. F. explosion explosion. See Explode.] 1. The act of exploding; detonation; a chemical action which causes the sudden formation of a great volume of expanded gas; as, the explosion of gunpowder, of fire damp,etc.

  1. A bursting with violence and loud noise, because of internal pressure; as, the explosion of a gun, a bomb, a steam boiler, etc.

  1. A violent outburst of feeling, manifested by excited language, action, etc.; as, an explosion of wrath.

A formidable explosion of high-church fanaticism. --Macaulay.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

See #2. Nothing about having a liner or tube in it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I wasn't driving, but I was in the back of a school bus when a rear tire let go.... good god that was loud. the ass end of the bus jumps about 6" into the air too. the driver didn't seem to have too much trouble with it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

"Jason" wrote

No....and depending on what your vehicle is and what tires you have....80psi is the cold setting. I believe I've seen that spec on the doors of 1 ton G-vans. And that is the max pressure rating for the tires.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai
1962

me, my brother, my sister, my parents in the 1960 Ford Ranch Wagon (223 straight six, three on the tree)

US-14 atop the Big Horns, between Burgess Junction and Shell Canyon, heading for Yellowstone

Mom driving, Dad looking out a the mountains, brother and sister asleep in the back seat

ME, 5'-6" at 12 years old, stretched out crossways behind the rear seat with my head on one wheel well and my feet on the other

tire blew out right under my head

after Mom got it stopped, we started changing it

a cowboy (real, live cowboy) came riding up and told us to pull it back up onto the pavement and change it there, because 'all you'll do is sink the jack and not lift the car'......he rode back up the road about 1/4 mile and watched for cars while Dad changed the tire and I changed my BVD's

compressor).

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Hello all...

Been reading along the thread here and I guess I just do not understand as usual.

For all my driving life, I've inflated my tires to around 30~35 pounds of pressure. Never had a problem doing so, and the tires certainly don't look flat.

So...what's the story here?

William the confused guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

"William R. Walsh" wrote

What are you referring to when you say you don't understand?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

We're talking about a truck that weighs 6000 lbs with nothing in it. That's

1500 lbs per tire (about the same front to back). 30-35 psi is typical for passenger cars, and I believe close to max on p-rated tires. With as little as 50 psi in my tires, they appear slightly flat. 65 Looks fine, I've been putting 80 (max tire rating) figuring I'd get the best gas milege that way. The consensus seems to be that if I'm not hauling, then best mpg is found somwhere in the middle.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Many heavy duty truck tires have 60 to 80 psi operating ranges. You never see it in the P's (passenger tires), it's in the LT and ST ranges. The stock rear tires on the Dodge 2500 with the Cummins are up to 80 PSI fully loaded, and about 40 psi unloaded. You start seeing these pressures on 2500's and up.

Reply to
John Alt

max pressure is not appropriate for most vehicles. they are only appropriate when you have an exceptionally heavy vehicle (xcab/crew cab diesel for instance) and on such vehicles the placard will reflect this. If I were you, I'd have left out the fact that you were a tire monkey, not exactly top of the totem pole. and no, I don't own any fords.... period.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase