Windshield Wipers

1990 K1500 5.7L

Will the windshield wiper motor handle a larger size wiper blade than the wimpy standard size? I'd like to put on a larger size that covers more of the windshield.

Thanks! Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin

I don't know why not, my 87 S-10 and the 91 came with 16", and I've run 17" from the first change on both. I'd like to use 18's but they hit the trim around the windshield. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Tim, You probably have "winter" ones on the truck. I think they are 13-14", always an inch or two shorter than "summer" ones, I think to help with pushing the heavier precipitation around. You can't go much bigger on these trucks though, the windshield is too up/down. I want to say I run 15 inchers and couldn't go bigger or I'd hit the top gasket. The bottom isn't to worry about unless yer a midget, or need to be able to see your hood clearly to drive.............

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Gremlin, your K5 is derived from a '73-87 truck, not a 88-98 truck, a

90 will use 17" or 18" wipers. I use 18 inchers on '88 with no problems.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Blah. I keep forgetting about the body change in ... 87 right? You new fangled guys. Truck windshields still go pretty straight up and down though....

GMC Gremlin.

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Thanks for all the info! I am definitely increasing the size. It is interesting about the winter blades being smaller as I have never actually heard that before.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin