Winter Driving

Winter is just around the corner. Sorry to mention it. I had a 93 Chevy s-10 Blazer for 10years, and it went everywhere, in the snow! I had to get rid of it, and I now have a 2003 S-10 pickup, with 2wd. I know it will never match my old Blazer, but what is the best tires, and maybe some other tips you guys might have? I live in Western Pa., so we are talking about a lot of hills! Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Best advice I can give is, good snowtires (not summer-winter) on all corners and weight in the back

Reply to
Battleax

PA allows studded tires (lived in Pgh for 6 years). I don't recommend them, as after a short while of driving on clear roads, your studs are worn down and pretty much useless. Get some good snow tires - Blizzaks or along those lines, weight in the back (I found that the first snowplowing in makes you a good pile to shovel into the back of the truck, and it melts on it's own...), and a good set of snow chains - not the 'cable style' ones. Other than that, take it easy. I lasted for several years with a 2wd full sized chevy.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Put 300-500lbs of weight in the rear, and you'll get a lot better traction. Tires there are a lot of choices, but something other than a car/light truck street tire helps. Chains beat the crap out of stuff, but can really do wonders in a pinch.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

I live in central PA. Our weather is just as sloppy and the roads just as hilly and twisting as around Pittsburgh.

The weight in the back helps a lot. Also you might consider real winter tires. (And even on the front if you find you can't steer). We just tried Goodyear Ultragrip Ice tires on our New Beetle. This is a vehicle that is set up as wrong as possible for the snow and ice. The tire salesman said these new Goodyear's are as good as studded tires but without the studs, yeah right! Well, they really are! It's friggin amazing. That car went from being useless and dangerous to acting like a snowmobile! (I've tried other brands of snow tires on this car before).

The drawback is you should only use them when there's snow and ice, not year round. And they're expensive vs. generic all season or plain jane snow tires. Between my own vehicles and my company's trucks, I maintain over a dozen 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles, and I keep trying all kinds of tires. A set of these will go on my Dad's Suburban this winter to replace his long wearing but aging Michelins.

James

Reply to
James Tomalonis

just put the weight in the bed, behind the cab,before the rear axle.otherwise, if its behind the rear axle,the pendulum effect takes hold. i live below lake michigan in the snow belt.

UPDATED WEB PAGE:

FreddMertz