Winter tires - no TPMS

I just bought a 08 uplander. I bought winter tires and rims, and passed on tmps. Now that's all my DIC wants to talk about. Any way to disarm this? thanks in advance

Reply to
webwalker

It cannot be legally disarmed federal law (part of the TREAD act)makes it a crime for anyone to disable or make inoperative the TPMS.

Some installers load your old tires/wheels into your vehicle. The argument is that they didn't disable the system, even though it is rendered useless. They know you will go home and unload the tires. You are now the criminal who has disabled the system.

About the only legal solution is to install the proper sensors. Sorry.

Steve W.

Stick all the sensors in a space saver tire (small tire) in your trunk.

Reply to
Bill

Hmm, good idea.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Why not pop off the spare tire, throw the sensors in it and refill with air? This will let you know when your spare runs low. :)

Reply to
Nightcrawler

That's what he said !!!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Sort of, but not.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

Well, unless the Outlander uses a space saver.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

Actually I was thinking about an additional small spare tire which you would never use. If you placed several sensors in your *real* spare tire, then needed to use it, the sensors would rattle around in there and it would not be balanced. And maybe the rattling around when starting/stopping would damage them?

Reply to
Bill

Ah, I see what you are doing but why not just properly install one (or all) of them in the real spare and make them useful. Nothing worse when you have a flat then finding out your spare only has 10 psi in it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Not if you glued them. :)

Ideally, you should of had them mounted to your rims.

It shouldn't cost that much to do so, now.

never use. If you placed several sensors in your

there and it would not be balanced. And maybe the

Reply to
Nightcrawler

Yep, been there, done that.

Hell, I've even had a flat and used a good spare. When I eventually went to a tire shop to have the original tire replaced I found that not only the wheel, but the entire spare tire carrier was stolen.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

Why not just ignore it for a few months? Does it make itself that obnoxious?

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

When I park the van in the garage the DIC and sensors communicate and resync for a while till I leave again - too funny.

Reply to
webwalker

yes, thats what i'm doing. it flashes for a few minutes then light stays on. no big deal really. who knew

Reply to
webwalker