Would a new 305 crank be ok in a 350 82 C/10 ?

I bought the wrong crank for my 350 and installed it. The truck was sold to me as a 305 but then we discovered it was a 350 after the crank was already in with heads rods etc from the original 350. Would it need to be balanced, or would it work fine? Thanks.

Reply to
RCJesse

Did you compare the counter weights between the two cranks? My educated guess is the 305 crank is going to have less counterweight because the pistons are smaller. You'd probably be better off seeing if your 350 crank could be repaired.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The biggest issue if the rod and main journals are the same size is going to be the stroke. The next issue is going to be the harmonic balancer and the flywheel. Some engines are internally balanced, and some are not. I would say if the piston skirts clear the counter weights your ok but that also depends on the piston design and cylinder head chambers. If she was a smog motor with dished pistons and big chambers, ie low compression to begin with your in trouble. We swap cranks all the time in hot rods for various reasons, to create a short stroke engine, to change a short stroke to a long stroke, or a long stroke to an even longer stroke to increase displacment to the max.. All trying to come up with different horsepower and torque configurations. Me I always build light cars, like Vegas, so I go for short stroke engines that rev fast. But we usuaully go with a longer rod when we go to a short stroke crank, or we loss to much compression. I dont need massive horsepower and torque to get a 2700 pound car motivated lol. If nothing else you have learned a lesson the hard way, varify what you have before buying internal parts. There are casting numbers on the back of the block and numbers stamped into a pad on the front of the block that would have told you what you have. On an older vehicle never trust the vin number, it was right when it left the factory, but who knows what was done since.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I thought the 305 and 350 had the same stroke and interchangeable cranks, but Autozone shows different part numbers for each. Something is different. Only $224 for a crank kit. Not worth the gamble, in my opinion.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

267,305 and 350 all use the same crank. The different part numbers are likely for the steel or iron cranks.
Reply to
Steve W.

Same stroke, different counterweights because of the differing size/ weights of pistons. Will shake like a dog sh**ing razor blades unless it is re-balanced.

Reply to
Gordon Gibson