XM radio

I am looking at replacing my head unit with an aftermarket unit. My question is has any one has any dealings with the Pionneer GEX-P920XM. My major question is do you know if the factory XM antenna will work with the unit?

Reply to
tchstnut

I'd contact

and ask them. They will know.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

The factory antenna *should* be fine. They generally use the same standard connector on all of them. In fact, the antenna should probably be compatible with Sirius as well if you take off the plastic housing surrounding the connector.

Which year / model truck are you thinking of installing this in? I just installed Sirius in my girlfriend's '06 Tahoe and the factory ready was XM-ready. The unit I installed was made for that specific application and so the factory radio controls (including the steering wheel controls) all work perfectly for Sirius.

Sirius generally has better music programming....

~jp

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

XM is far better!

Reply to
JBDragon

??? How so??? I looked about both.

~jp

JBDrag> XM is far better!

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

If what you want is your local FM stations without commercials, Sirius is perfect.

If you want depth and breadth and want to escape the same old 300-track playlists FM gives you, then XM's music is quite a lot better.

Just depends on what you're looking for. In my view, the music programming at XM is only about 20x as good as Sirius.

Reply to
NoDownTime

XM's Satellites also stay in the same place, while Sirius Satellites move in a Figure 8 pattern. This can cause you to have a good single for a while, and then just cut out. You may live someplace where moving the Antenna to get a better signal just isn't possible. Also XM has far more Ground Repeaters. They are used so you can still get a signal where Satellite Reception is a problem. In the City with tall buildings, anything blocking the Sky to the south. This is a huge advantage for Portables.

Oh and I don't think you even get a 300 track playlist on some FM stations when you here the same songs 20 times a day. If you want to hear a song that many times, then a IPOD is the thing you may want. A Portable XM Unit with MP3 Storage Capacity is also nice Unit to have. Move from Car, to Home, to walking around, riding a bike, whatever. 1 Subscription and tune in where ever you are. Want to hear your favorite songs a bunch of times, put them on unit. The best of both worlds.

I installed a adapter to get a Direct connection to the factory Radio on my

03 Silverado, and it gives me 2 Direct inputs. I use one of them for my Skyfi 2, which I can move from Truck, to Home, to Boombox at work. Sounds great, works great. Have had XM now for like 5 years. Can't stand FM anymore. every time I get in a car and all I have is FM, is sucks. Almost non-Stop commercials it seems.

Oh and HD Radio? HAHAHA Ya, I want my commercials to sound even better, and the range is even less then FM. Still the same problems. Still doesn't remotely compare to XM's 170 channels Coast to Coast! HD Radio will go away like AM Stereo in the end.

Reply to
JBDragon