01 intrepid struts

01 Chrysler Intrepid ES 74,000 km

Both front struts are leaking and need to be replaced (according to my extended Warranty appointed shop, and the struts by the way are conveniently not covered under my warrany). I will be having a second shop, which I trust, look at the car on friday. In the meantime I'm wondering what the expected life of the struts are on these cars (ie.

2nd gen LH series).

I've been quoted nearly $1400 canadian for munroe struts, mounts and a left inner tie rod with 4.5hrs labour @80/hour and an alignment. I will be calling some other shops for quotes as well.

Any info would be appreciated

Reply to
Matt T

I just had the front struts on my 99 300M replaced under the CHyrsler maximum car extended service plan. If you have that plan they are covered with a $50 deductible. Made a tremendous improvement in ride and probably makes the warranty a bargain right there for that issue alone.

Reply to
Art

But if the shop and the customer mutually agree that any warranty issues will not be the shop's problem, then what's the beef. Or is this a situation where some stupid law precludes a shop not warrantying the job even if mutually agreed to?

Speaking from a dealers stand point here. We offer 12 months or 12k miles on parts and labor, most parts bought thru another parts store do not honor that kind of warranty and they sure dont pay the labor to reinstall it if it does fail. And once again when the liars, I mean lawyers get into it.....you loose even if you win. I have had to install non Chrysler Parts before and the only gaurantee I give is that is wont fall off.

Reply to
damnnickname

But you do offer that as an option - that's all I'm talking about.

I agree about the lawyer thing. If anything comes to a warranty or legal situation, in most cases, I cut my losses and take care of whatever problems myself (I'm talking about as a DIY'er or "consumer"). For the little pitiful healing that any warranty adjustment might give, I'll take my chances and save several hundred bucks on the job (as the customer) by bringing my own parts if that is an option vs. paying $200% parts markups on top of the labor/OH charges for negligible benefit to me.

Bill Putney