'01 PT Cruiser clunking noises in rear

Vehicle has about 75K miles. On bumpy roads we hear a clunking sound -- that's about the best I can described it -- coming from the rear of the car. I've raised it and looked for something obvious like a worn bushing, loose wheel bearing, and so on, but can't find anything. It has been present for some time and seems to have gradually gotten more frequent. Has anyone experienced this problem and found what it is?

Reply to
jimhigh66

More then likely the rear sway bar links are causing your problem. Part number 4656932AA

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Also a good time to swap in a pair of new bushings as well.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I just took my 2001 PT Cruiser, with 48000 miles, in to the dealer (again) for the same issue, plus squeaks from rear. Dealer says new busings will fix the squeaks and link will fix the clunk. Since this is a problem I have heard of repeatedly on 2001s, I asked if the parts had been re-engineered or would they install the same thing that had failed - reply was "not re-engineered", same old part number.

Given the original parts started failing at around 34k miles (dealer couldn't hear the noises when they drove the car), I have elected to go elsewhere, in search of longer-lived parts. I know bushings are available from third-parties and will be talking to NAPA (maybe others) soon about the link. Anyone know of links other than from MoPar?

Reply to
L, not -L

Thank you all. I'll check the Watts Links & bellcrank, and bushings. I have the "Haynes" book.

Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

The only source for the links is Chrysler. One of mine actually snapped in half on its shaft!

I replaced the bushings myself with the following and recommend them to you.

Use a synthetic brake pin lube on any bushing to extend their life and reduce the chance of noise.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for the info and recommendation. My son used Energy bushings on his Mazda RX-7 a few years ago and was very pleased with the improvement they made; sounds like a good choice for this application.

Reply to
L, not -L

Can these bushings be replaced while the car is on ramps? Are any special tolls needed? Thanks in Advance Jim

Reply to
jim1258

Can these bushings be replaced while the car is on ramps? Are any special tolls needed? Thanks in Advance Jim

Reply to
maxpower

There are two, left and right - are they interchangable (same part number)? Thanks

Reply to
Nola