'01 PT Cruiser overheats in drive, but not in park

Purchased car in 2008. In summer '08 I replaced hoses, thermostat, and water pump. Went through most of 2009 okay, replaced thermostat again in 2010. My car started to run hot today and I realized coolant was low. I had to run the heat full blast on the way to AutoZone to buy the coolant. I put the coolant in and sat in the parking lot with car in PARK with A/C running full blast. The temp never got above half. It sat running full A/C for over 10 minutes without a problem. So I put the car in DRIVE and pulled out to the light. By the time I got 500 ft away from the AutoZone, car temp was back up above 3/4. I again turned off A/C, rolled the windows down and ran the heat full blast in order to get home without overheating the car. Any thoughts at all?????????????????????

Reply to
Crystal Anderson

I suspect problem with the transmission. Have you checked the transmission oil level and condition?

Reply to
NotMe

Take the thermostat out and run the engine without one.

It's summer-time, it's not like you really need a thermostat right now.

I used to drive my '65 Dodge Polara with slant-6 without a thermostat during the summer.

Reply to
MoPar Man

changing your trans fluid and filter might be in order, and flush the trans cooler (or just blow it out if you have an air compressor). but before doing that, check your lower radiator hose and make sure its not real squishy. It could be collapsing from water pump suction while driving.

Reply to
Rob

when you put the AC on, it runs the fan which eventually cools down the coolant. When you drive, if the AC is not on, Fan wil be controled by coolant temperature sensor. check if your coolant temperature sensor is working, or just put one in for 5 dollars.

Reply to
u c coskun