04 T&C rough idle

My 04 TC idles rough when in drive and when sitting at a red light. I changed the plugs and wires but still not a smooth idle but otherwise drives fine. It's the 3.8 with 69k miles. Any ideas? Thanks for the help

Reply to
yappy

Have your EGR valve check and throdle body cleaned and injectors cleaned.

Reply to
Bentracer and Bentrider

Clean the throttle body thoroughly if the issue is at idle.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
philthy

What do youo use to clean the TBody, is brake cleaner ok Tx

Reply to
cosza

Throttle Body/Combustion Chamber cleaner. This is available from automotive parts store or the Chrysler dealer. I also use an old toothbrush and a soft, clean cotton rag.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
cosza

It is located at the end of the intake air ram duct. It has the throttle cable, return spring, and throttle position sensor attached, so this is why is called the throttle body.

When you remove the intake, you will see the choke plate which opens when you move the throttle cable. You need to clean well beyond that choke plate to make sure it opens and closes completely and freely. The toothbrush will allow you to scrub the TB side walls and the choke plate.

If this does not work, then you may need to disassemble the TB, clean, and reassemble using new gaskets where needed. (I am not familiar with the '04, but assume it is similar to earlier models for that engine). I find my wife's 3.8L and earlier 3.3L engines required this procedure about every

20-30K miles to maintain smooth idle. By the way, the dealer will perform this service for you if you do not feel comfortable doing it. Also, it is a good time to change the air filter while you are in there and the air duct is removed anyway.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman