'05 300 question..

Anyone know if the '05 300 has a Frame underneath, or a unibody? Thanks

Reply to
angelsbridge

Jesus. You're not serious, are you?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Unibody. Chrysler/Dodge doesn't have a body-on-frame car in their lineup. Pickup trucks are body-on-frame.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

The '04 was a unibody, but the new navigation system needs the inertial stabilization of a separate frame to keep the GPS receiver aligned so they are installing a frame underneath for '05. They are also upgrading to titanium muffler bearings and longer-stroke Johnson rods.

HTH

Reply to
Jack Baruth

Jeeze, are you stupid or something? That's completely wrong. The reason they're putting in a frame for '05 is so the framistan minulators will last the life of the car instead of having to be re-honed every 50K miles.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And in your line of work, Dan, you should appreciate the fact that the added frame also serves as a much larger reservoir for the headlamp chromatic correction fluid. The 05 will run 80,000 miles on a fill-up of headlamp fluid versus only 25,000 miles for the previous generation 300M.

Reply to
Steve

So then the answer is yes, it has a frame? the sales guy at the dealership said it has a frame, unlike the previous 300m .

Reply to
angelsbridge

This is the funniest post in the thread ... by far! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

| | This is the funniest post in the thread ... by far! :-) | | Matt |

Yes it is!!! May be ever!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

+----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | TROLLS | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Minor nit here; the framistan minulators are supposed to be lapped and then burnished, not honed. Long term testing has revealed that the saturn rings will not properly seat inside the framistan minulators if they are honed only.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ohgeeze, here we go again. You must be one of these guys who spends his life with his nose in fancy-pants books. Only in the perfect, sanitary world of the service manual does anyone lap and burnish framistan minulators. I doubt if you can even get the lapping compound any more, except from Chrysler (P/N 8675309e9). One dope at the local dealership thought he'd be clever and use regular valve lapping compound. I don't have to describe the results.

Just hone them and be done with it. It works fine.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I am glad to hear that titanium muffler bearings have finally been approved for use. I have found that the quality of chrome muffler bearings has really deteriorated in recent years. Do you know if they will be interchangeable with muffler bearings on other, older models or will they only be 300 specific?

Reply to
RPhillips47

Actually, all one needs to do is add Lubegard purple to plain old Clover brand lapping compound, it works *exactly* like Chrysler P/N 8675309e9 framistan minulator lapping compound and actually extends the life of not just the saturn rings, but the moons and the planetarys also. At least that is what is documented by an independent testing facility which unfortunately is too top secret to mention by name.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

The chrome muffler bearing went to hell because of EPA mandated cut-backs in the use of Nickel, millions of children are/were suffering from heavy metal poisoning from the traces of nickel being deposited along the roadways. Being a basically inert* biologically friendly material, the titanium muffler bearing are 1005 compatible any place where the old environmentally unfriendly chrome muffler bearings were used.

  • Inert except in cases where the titanium might become exposed to ploptic acid. Exposure of titanium to ploptic acid creates noxious clouds of ploptic oxide gas.
Reply to
Neil Nelson

I'll let the wise-guys continue their alternate thread on this topic.

Practically all Chrysler cars went from body-on-frame to unit-body construction in 1960. The 1966 Imperial was probably the last body-on-frame car from Chrysler.

The dealer is telling you that the '05 300 has a frame probably as a way to enhance or embellish the 4WD option.

Although, it might really have a frame - might account for it's 4000+ lbs in weight.

Reply to
MoPar Man

It may have a cradle or what some manufacturers call a subframe to hold the engine. Not sure if it does but it might. Many cars do these days.

Reply to
Art

Really. I thought all the sarcasm was stupid, but now, suddenly, it's the best thread of the week!

Reply to
Joe

Amsoil synthetic ATF works well also. In the same way that it senses which ATF it's supposed to act like in a given application, it also senses in this application that it is supposed to perform like valve grinding compound, and does a respectable job of it, and in about half the time.

Bill Putney

Sarcasm? I didn't notice any sarcasm - just complete and up-to-date information for those who need it!

Reply to
RPhillips47