1971 Cuda 340 Carb Info Needed

I just picked up a '71 Cuda w/340 3spd. However, the carb is missing...does anyone have any info on exactly what carb I should look for ? TIA Jay

Reply to
bajazza

340 THREE speed?!? You mean 3-speed automatic, I assume. Otherwise that's not an original 340 'Cuda, but maybe a 318 or slant-6 Barracuda that's had a 340 transplant..

ARe you interested in an exact restoration, or function?

IIRC, the 71 340s used either a Carter AVS or a Holley vacuum-secondary

4-barrel. No Thermoquad until a couple of years later on the 360. I added a cross-post to alt.hi-po.mopars and I know one of those guys there can tell you the exact carburetor number for either a manual or automatic (they're different) 71 340 'Cuda. But a good aftermarket carb that will look fairly correct would be an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS.
Reply to
Steve

Reply to
philthy

one of the tricks was to use was a 3 speed put of a slant six car it was a

3 speed stick bolt right > snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Reply to
philthy

I'm not sure about a '71, but my '72 Demon 340 had a Thermoquad from the factory. You might try

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Three speed manual was, indeed, available with the 340 on '71 'Cudas. In fact it was standard equipment. 151 were built that way.

The OEM carb was a Carter 4972S; a 480 CFM AVS.

In my opinion, the car is too rare (read: valuable) to hack or modify.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

Sorry, I shot from the hip on carb details, that 4972S was an 800 CFM Thermo-Quad, a one-year-only type of fuel metering system, too. Brain fart.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

My friend's '73 Challenger 340 came with a Thermoquad, as did another friend's '73 340 Roadrunner.

Reply to
BDK