1984 Laser: Manual Transmission Shifting Problems Cold

I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser with manual transmission. I have shifting problems when it is cold (significantly below freezing) but not normally.

The shift lever will go forward and back but not left to right (in the location it normally moves left and right).

Do I have ice somewhere???? Where? What is the explanation? Solution?

Thank you.

Reply to
Jonathan Grobe

The explanation is the viscosity of your transmission oil becomes that of cold molasses at these temperatures, and you can get it into gear when cold if you are patient. Once warmed up, it will work as normal.

If you don't want this problem, put some kind of heater under your transmission. See your dealer or auto parts store.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Did you actually read his post, Lawrence?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Careful Ian! He'll threaten you then he'll Plonk you!!!! 8^)

Bill Putney

I would look for a build-up of grease on the transmission shift levers, which will trap dirt which in turn will absorb water which will freeze. Clean everything and lubricate with light oil. You can see these under the hood.

I had one of those beasts for a while in the early 1990s, and if I recall correctly the end of the cables had rubber boots over them, which could easily trap dirt.

Reply to
Dave Gower

The advice you received regarding shift cable binding is worth checking out. (Especially the cable that selects the different shift forks left to right)

An extra thought: I have overhauled 5 or 10 of the K car transaxles (I think New Process 535s) and during the late 80's it seems like Chrysler retroactively began specifying ATF for trans lube verses 90 weight. I have always used ATF with no problem. It gets down near 0 degrees F. here for a couple weeks a year, but shifting my and my customer's Chryslers was no problem due to the thinner oil. No durability problems to note either.

I got a customer in once with a 89 Omni that had a wasted mainshaft and diff bearings. It had recently been to a 'Trans' shop who used 90 weight during an overhaul. The fix was to do it all over again with new parts and ofcourse use ATF.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Instead of ATF how about the lightest weight gear oil that Redline sells? seems like it might be the best of both worlds. Or, of course, synthetic ATF would probably work just as well. The synthetic is wonderful in cold weather.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do whatever you want, but ATF works and is

Reply to
Comboverfish

One cable is for front and back, the other cable is for left and right. That one is freezing. How to fix, I have no idea. Maybe thaw and lube well.

Reply to
clemslay

in olive oil. Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours. Serve on spaghetti. Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal - after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets Tomato gravy (see index) 4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano Seasoned bread crumbs mixed with parmesan romano salt pepper oregano garlic powder chopped parsley Flour eggwash (eggs and milk) Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets. Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture. Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil. In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and cheese. Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese. Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well. In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens for frying before you go for the real thing. Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces 2 cups flour Onion, garlic Salt pepper garlic powder cayenne pepper hot sauce, etc. Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic. Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours. Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag, drop pieces in a

Reply to
clemslay

Reply to
John_F