1986 Dodge Daytona Z

are there any groups devoted to these cars? I just bought one in Wisconsin and hope to get it running to hopefully sell.

Reply to
septicman

Follow the bouncing links....

Steve

what exactly do you need?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
septicman

Just yet another K-car stretch with some rakish styling, optional blown 2.2L and not much to recommend it, although it was an improvement over the Omni-based Charger. Not many of these car survive for a reason...they looked sporty, but performed like a K-car. The blown versions, like most blown K-cars, were shop queens if not maintained properly. The "G-body," as the Daytona/Laser twins were designated, was a Lee Iacocca project aimed at getting sales in the youth market that the Ks weren't getting at all, while keeping the Corporation's CAFE numbers high and using high powertrain and chassis parts interchange, thus saving precious cash. Body integrity was a big problem on "G-bodies." The "G-bodies" were aiming also to compete with Ford's Turbo T-Bird, but didn't quite make it. Today, G-bodies, like most 1980s Chrysler products save the Ms, are pretty rare. The

2.2L with a blower provided good, if not "sporty," power and still yielded good economy. The Garrett AiResearch turbo was a problem, though, especially to non-mechanically inclined drivers. The 5 speed, like all K-based manual transmission cars, was pretty "clunky" feeling due to its ham-fisted linkage.

My bro-in-law had one for awhile, and was pretty unimpressed with it overall. I kept the routine maintenance up on it for him, and it was pretty reliable. When he wanted to sell it to me in '87, I passed. The car just couldn't perform either power or handling-wise up to its looks, and a K-car had more room inside.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Don't spend a lot of money on it. It will never be worth a lot....

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Lynn's right. This is a "special interest" car only, not a future classic like a 300. Neither's my M-body, but I still like it...it's got character, and now has pretty good economy to go with it.

Reply to
DeserTBoB