1987 Fifth Avenue - Lean Burn Question

Again, here I am with something regarding my 1987 Fifth Avenue with the

318/2bbl and "LeanBurn."

I removed the carb and intake the other day and cleaned out all of the passages. There was a bit of black goo in the EGR passageways, but nothing that stopped it completely up. Either way, I soaked the intake in parts dip and everything looks new now and is clear as can be. Got it all reinstalled and took the car for a test run. It still has the surging and stumbling, whether or not I'm under a load (ie: driving the car) or just revving the engine in neutral.

Okay, so... Just for the hell of it, I pulled off the vaccum line going to that vaccum modulator on the aircleaner.... You know, the one attached to the LeanBurn computer. At idle, it didn't make any noticable difference in engine performance, but as I revved up the engine, it was SMOOOOOOOTH! Smooth as can be and stayed smooth! No stumble, no surging! So I left the modulator disconnected (vaccum line plugged) and took it for a short drive. Once again, it accelerated smooth as can be and took off like a rocket without hesitation or stumbling. So under load or in neutral it runs GREAT with that line disconnected and plugged.

It shocked me how smooth it was.

SO, what the hell does that vacuum modulator tell the computer? I didn't feel like tearing into the computer housing to see what it was attached to. I'm ditching LeanBurn come this summer and converting to standard carb and electronic ignition, but in the meantime can I leave that modulator disconnected without hurting the engine? It's not going to cause me to run too lean and hot or anythng else horrible? The smooth performance I gained was really quite spectacular.

Thanks,

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

If it is what I THINK you are referring to, it is the "vacuum advance" for the timing. It will run well without it, but be hard on gas. You might want to try to find a used computer at the wreckers to swap in - sounds like you MAY have a bad computer.

Reply to
clare

You are probably right, but here is a photo just to be clear:

Steve Reinis

Would a bad computer still give me decent fuel economy? I'm getting about

20-22 MPG on the highway and 17-18 around town. I've checked twice now, figuring on an 18 gallon fuel tank and I keep coming up with good figures.

Also, it seems like the computer is "responding" properly to signals because I can ground the O2 sensor wire and it runs like crap, smooths out as soon as I reconnect the O2 sensor. And when the engine is cold, it runs quite rich and will nearly stall like its loading up if I let the idle come down too soon, then all of a sudden after it warms up there seems to be a change in the carb (slight click, slight buzz, then silence) and the engine runs smoother, like it's tuned properly and not running so rich. I figured it was changing the mixture once the computer thought the engine was warm enough. I have no idea how LeanBurn operates....

I didn't experience any pinging or th engine running hotter, so I'll give it a few days running with that vacuum modulator disconnected and I'll see how I do on fuel and performance...

Thanks,

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

A bad computer can easily give you terrifically good fuel economy while merrily burning holes in your pistons from excessively-lean mixture.

You can't generalize that the computer is working correctly because it responds in some fashion to a gross test of ONE input.

Info on diagnosing this has been offered in great detail in previous responses to your posts.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well, how does one determine if the computer is working properly? From what I've gathered, even a LeanBurn computer in good order still produces a surging, stumbling engine. I could easily pull two or three from the junkyard and still not know if I have a good one.

Hell with it, I'm going to swap it all out ASAP and not have to worry about LeanBurn toasting my engine.

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Yes, that is the vacuum advance- or "load sensor"

Common failure point in the past.

Reply to
clare

Canadian or US MPG?? That car was good for about 27MPG Canadian on the highway.

Put timing light on, and apply vacuum to the diaphragm. It should advance smoothly. If not, it is SHOT.

Reply to
clare

The common lean-burn surge is an EGR calibration problem, and the Chrysler dealers should still have reference to the required vacuum restrictor for the EGR control. There is a "vacuum amplifier" on that thing IIRC.

Reply to
clare

Well, it DEFINITELY provides a reference for timing advance (you won't get full advance without it hooked up) and it *may* affect the fuel mixture bias a lot like a MAP sensor on a modern car (not sure about that- the Lean Burn may not use it for fuel mix at all). Its not going to do anything too "horrible" although without the extra timing advance you'll waste fuel and run the exhaust system hotter than normal.

I would be a lot more interested to see if you get rid of the surge by removing the EGR vacuum line and re-connecting the computer's vacuum line.

Reply to
Steve

Holy CATS thats a beautiful engine bay for an M-body! I haven't seen one like that since those cars were still in showrooms.

Reply to
Steve

Depends. If something fails so that the carb stays in "lean' mode, yeah mileage can be great but driveability will suffer.

Probably not a COMPUTER problem (they almost never fail even though they're the first thing blamed) but a sensor somewhere.

Reply to
Steve

Have you seen the photos I have at

? Look at theengine bay when I had it all shined up. It's just about flawless. I bought this car for $570 (They were asking $600) and it has four new Cooper tires on it! Aside from the LeanBurn flakiness, it runs like a champ and has only 103k miles. Leather, premium stereo, power everything, perfect red vinyl roof, A/C converted to R134a and works great, exhaust is either in damned good shape or has been replaced recently.... I keep waiting to find out why it was so cheap... I guess maybe they thought it was in bad shape from the way LeanBurn makes it act at times... Also, the kickdown rod was disconnected from the carburetor and so the trans wouldn't downshift when you floored it... It just grumbled and started shaking violently. That would almost certainly scare anyone not too mechanically inclined into thinking the transmission was kaput. I reconnected the kickdown cable and put a new retaining clip on and it shifts beautifully.

It's got a few ever so minor issues, but overall is a very well preserved car!

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Well, I did that as well. I pulled the vaccum line to the EGR valve and took it for a drive... same shuddering and stumbling. It also will stumble when being revved in neutral, so I don't think I can blame the transmission for the stumble.

And in a previous post I already mentioned that I've pulled the intake and dipped it to clear out all of the passages, as recommened on a couple of M-Body forums I read. I'm pretty sure I've eliminated the EGR system as trouble.

I replaced the fuel filter and still the same crap. I also have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, an a new coil because the old one was swollen. I've just decided that I can't really go wrong with converting to a non-feeback carb and a regular Chrysler electronic ignition and so I'm gathering the parts to do it immediately. I have the carb already, but am waiting on the ignition and distributor kit to arrive. The last thing I want is this silly computer running my engine too lean and toasting everything.

Reply to
Steve Reinis

THOSE computers DID have a history of failing. To the point there was a thriving industry in rebuilding them. Flite systems of Mechanicsburg PA and Mississauga Ont used to rebuild them by the skid load.

Reply to
clare

I'd be doing my best to keep that one stock, Steve.

Reply to
clare

I'll skip the snide remarks about factory part numbers on ballast resistors and ask why your advice is to keep a common-as-dirt car stock at the expense of driveability and utility?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well, it would be rather interesting 20 years down the road, maybe... But right now I want a car that drives great instead of looks great and runs like shit! lol

Besides, it won't look all that bad without LeanBurn in there...

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Just my bias - if it can be made to run properly AND be original, a car in that kind of shape is, IN MY OPINION, worth keeping original. You, or the owner, are free to dissagree - but there are a LOT of those lean burn engines that are still running well, with good driveability, economy, and performance and no major modifications.

That car appears to be in much better than average condition, and although "common as dirt" as you say, becoming hard to find in that kind of original condition.

As I said "I" would be doing "my best" to keep that one stock.

Reply to
clare

No kidding, although I consider ditching the Lean Burn and putting Chrysler EI on "leaving stock."

And I'd have bought it at TWICE that price!

Reply to
Steve