1988 Aries Radio Compatibility

Which other Chrysler radios will fit into a 1988 Dodge Aries that has the factory AM/FM radio. I'm looking to at least get a cheap cassette into the car.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
jmcgill

The setup on most Chryslers was the same from the early 1980's until the late 1990's. They use the grey and black connectors, along with the mounting tabs at the lower left and top right. A stereo from a later model should fit, except for the ones from the Stratus/Breeze/Cirrus. The mounting is different.

An aftermarket system can be installed using a mounting kit with connector adapters, if you cannot find a Chrysler unit.

I bought an AM/FM Cassette from a mid-1990's Chrysler for only $2.00 at a local thrift store to put in my 1993 Voyager. I was surprised that it works perfectly. I wanted the later model since it has 10 station tuning for each band, and seek.

They also have them on eBay. Ones with a CD Player will cost more as expected.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

That's great news. I want to just put a basic cassette unit in. I like the later 10 station units as well. They're very cheap on Ebay, so there's no availability problem.

Thanks for the response.

Joe

Reply to
jmcgill

You should be able to get one for a good price. I have wired in a FM modulator, that connects between the antenna and the radio. It works very well with my MP3 player and my Sony Mini-disc. I use them more than CD's now, so I didn't see the need to install an in-dash AM/FM CD player. On newer cars, they are starting to provide AUX inputs to meet this growing need.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Years ago I bought a 1998 vintage cloud car radio with cassette to put in my 88 New Yorker. The connectors where the same. Only minor tweak was to hack off one mounting ear on the lower left side which did not match the opening in my dash. Worked perfect for years.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

These Mopar AM/FM units also make great home listening radios if you cobble up a cheap 12.6 vdc supply for them. A garage sale Sears battery charger will yield a transformer and rectifier you will need to add a filter cap.

Appliance and HVAC stores have many suitable transformers to give you a rectified 16-18 VDC which will give you a nice regulated 12V with a regulator and pass transistor for just a couple of dollars. Mount the radio in a garage sale stereo speaker box and you will have the equivalent of a $200 KLH table radio for $15 or less.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig