1988 Aries Wiper fluid reservoir

My washer fluid reservoir has deteriorated (literally cracked in my hands) and I need a replacement? Does anyone sell a suitable replacement, or am I going to have to look at junkyards?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
jmcgill

Have you tried a dealer?

Bill Putney

As Bill suggests, I would try a dealer. You may not be able to find a used one that is any better than what you already have.

When I was at my dealer a couple of months back, I was asking about availability of parts for older models. He said that there are still parts available for models going back to the early 1980's, and even before that in some cases. It's best if you have a part number.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks

Reply to
jmcgill

Find a U-pull junkyard in your vicinity. Parts for an '88 K-car will be extremely cheap. I mostly maintained my '87 Reliant from junkyards. If you are not in the rust belt, there should still be a good selection of K-cars in the yard. (They are getting scarce here in Toronto.)

I'm sure that you can get three or four (or ten!) used reservoirs in decent shape for the price of one from Chrysler. It seems to me that DC has jacked the price of older parts way up: "okay you goofs, if you won't give up your old K-cars, you will PAY for the privilege". The only thing I would buy from dealers would be things like specialized fasteners that would likely be in sad shape on junkyard cars (such as the upper bolt for rear shocks).

For example, the new-from-dealer MAP sensor cost about $100, and lasted a year. I got five older-style (and I suspect more durable) MAP sensors from the junkyard for $20. Only needed one for the rest of the life of the car.

....Ed

Reply to
Ed.Toronto

Found one at a Junk Yard, it was cracked in almost the same place, but for the price I paid, I put some sealant on it and installed. It works fine.

I'm definitely going to use Junkyards for the parts I'll be using to maintain my Aries.

Reply to
jmcgill