1990 Dodge Caravan, CV joint/s ???

Hi, my 1990 Dodge Caravan is makeing a clicking noise when I hit a bump. When makeing a right turn over a curb its loud. I sure it's on the drivers side. I plan on changing this myself. I looked on AutoZone's site and they sell a halfshaft, is this what I want to replace? Also do the boots come with it? Thanks Dave

Reply to
Big-Dave

deadbeat

I don't know about your symptoms, but if you have decided it is the CV joints then yes a half shaft is it. And it does come with the rubber boots.

It's been awhile since I had CV joint problems and I don't remember the symptoms. However, I remember that a telltale sign is if the rubber boots are split so that dirt can get in. Once that happens, you might as well put in a half shaft. Be sure it matches exactly. You can buy the new one specified in Autozone's data base, but match it to the one you take out. If it doesn't match, take the new one back and try another brand store.

I think the last time I changed mine, the one at Autozone didn't match but the one at Advance Auto matched. Yet they were both the same manufacturer and part number.

Gary Stewart

Reply to group or email stewartx snipped-for-privacy@nb.net (leave out the x x)

Reply to
The Stewarts

Hi, yea both boots are damaged, one just barely off and the other split. I just got the van so I don't know how long they have been split. I have Autozone and Advanced auto parts in my town. Thanks for the info! Dave

Reply to
Big-Dave

Go here ,, will get you prepped really well for the job,, that is if you haven't done it a few times before ....

Don't forget to at least drop them a note and say thanks !!

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Hi, thanks for the link. I read and reread it and will print it out to have with me when I do the job(Tuesday). This is the part of the job I'am not looking foward to....

"Pull the axle out of the transmission. Some older models have snap rings which hold the axles in, which I think require you to pry out the axle from the transmission."

With my luck, it won't want to come out! Thanks again Dave

Reply to
Big-Dave

There are at least 2 styles of half shaft used on that van. Either one can be used. No problem. They use different boots, so if you need to replace a boot down the line you need to know which axle you have. One is totally round, another has "flats" in 3 positions around the joint, among other differences.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce