1991 Dodge Spirit

The tachometer in this vehicle is working only intermittently and is getting rather anoying. Is this an easy fix, any help is appreciated. Thanks, Dave....

Reply to
dcollivier

Been there and done that, first with my '91 and then with my '92.

The gauge face can warp slightly over time and apply friction to the tacho shaft, preventing it working correctly. Removing the needle and carefully winnowing out the hole to provide more clearance works. Sometimes the mechanism itself stops working right, or the contact pins get loose, or the tach drive module on the back of the instrument cluster stops working. Just grab another cluster assembly from the wrecking yard; they take 2 minutes to remove and are all the same per type (basic analogue, deluxe analogue with tach, electronic) '89-'95. Or just remove the tach needle and live with it -- Some '91 Spirits came with manual transmissions, but most with automatics, and a tach is totally unnecessary on an automatic car.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern