1991 Plymouth Voyager - A/C compressor noise

I have a 3.3 liter 1991 Plymouth Voyager with about 120,000 miles. It just started to make a loud noise under the hood. I hesitate to describe it. As a layman/backyard mechanic, my description might be misleading to those of you more experienced in fixing cars/vans. Anyway, I narrowed it down to the side of the engine with the alternator, water pump, and a/c compressor. When I take my ratchet and put one end on the a/c compressor and listen on the other end, the noise I hear is the same. It makes no difference whether or not the a/c is running or not. I think there is a clutch assembly on the end of the a/c compressor. Knowing nothing about such things, are there some sort of bearings in this clutch that could be bad? Note, my a/c works just fine, my oil pressure is good, and I'm not losing any radiator fluid (i.e., from the water pump indicating maybe the water pump is going bad). I guess what I'm wondering is how to further narrow down the problem, and could it possibly be this a/c compressor clutch assembly. Could some lube in this clutch assembly help. I'm way over my head and reaching a little here. Any help would be appreciated.

When it rains it pours. I just replaced by rear brakes and then here comes this noise.

Skip

Reply to
skip

I'm pretty sure the noise is the bearings in the A/C clutch.

Reply to
skip

How about the water pump? Has it ever been replaced? When the water pump started to fail on my 1993 Voyager, it made a "grating" sound.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Too add what Kirk has said-I just replaced a water pump on a 1993-the frikker was making the engine sound like a diesel from the pump bearing so shot. Tiny amount of coolant loss only. Owner was sure the rod bearings were gone in the engine. Heh. Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Not sure. I've been out of town for a couple of days on business (using a company car) and had some time to think about it. I'm thinking that I can remove the a/c compressor belt and start the engine. If I still hear the noise, I'll look at the water pump. If the noise goes away, then it's the a/c compressor clutch.

Reply to
skip

Since the 3.3 has a single belt for everything, I don't know if that will be possible.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

If that's so, maybe I can remove the a/c clutch from the compressor and then tell if it's shot by trying to operate it by hand. I'm not sure. Is it possible to remove it from the a/c compressor while the compressor is still on the vehicle?

Reply to
skip