1993 jeep grand cherokee - abs brake system

I have an old 1993 jeep cherokee. Can and advise me on the possibility of having a mechanic remove the abs system on my jeep? or disconnect it? It seems very expensive to replace parts (main part about 2,000) and does not work on my vehicle (i think). I have complely new brake drums, rotors and pads and was wondering if the vehicle would be safe if the abs was just disabled in some way?

The Jeep shudders when coming to a slower speed when braking . sway bay system new. If i disconnected it perhaps i could at least trobleshoot it that way and see if that is what it is? any advise would be appreciated or the proper group to post this question to if this is off topic? thanks.

Reply to
jerry

Simply find and remove the ABS fuse - that will make your brakes behave just as if there were no ABS on it. My state (VA) does not include the ABS light in their inspections, so you wouldn't fail inspection for the ABS light being on - if the light bothered you (it would me) you could disable the dash light and still pass inspection. Not sure about other states.

Bill Putney

Hi Bill, thanks a lot for the idea. I pulled the main 3 amp fuse and the Abs light came on but the shuddering at low speed when braking did not stop- i put it back and the same- was another shared fuse and a relay but i left them alone. I'm about ready to pull my hair out on this. :-) putting new shocks on tomorrow and then try dealing with the steering? it does have very loose steering and at the least needs adjusting. I also put new motor mounts on last week.

This jeep was stolen by a bunch kids and trashed in the desert so it could be anything? I just don't know. thanks for the help. Jerry

Reply to
jerry

You're welcome. I hope you find the problem. Check all steering and suspension parts (tie rods, control arms, bushings, steering gear, etc.)

Bill Putney