1993 Voyager w/ 3.3 fails emissions test. Also getting code "21"

Failing idle speed emissions test. I checked the codes from the DRB system, and I am getting a 21, which means that the O2 sensor voltage is staying between 4.3 and 4.5 volts. Does this mean that my O2 sensor is bad, and will it's replacement likely correct the emission problem too?

If the sensor needs replacement, which one should I use? Bosch brand has not had very good reviews in this NG. Which brand to Chysler use for replacement?

Thanks,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Replace the 02 sensor with a MOPAR part and be on your way!!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn. I was hoping that was it.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
philthy

Had to change the plug, Put a mopar 02 sensor in my Hyundai haha

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

US$65, eh? Beauty, eh!

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Yes, there is nothing like taxes to stifle the economy and suck the $$$ right out of your wallet!

I do believe the part price was about $95, then about $15 to $20 to install, then both federal and provincial taxes...

I generally find that the shift from USA to Canada and us$ to CDN$, along with the need for local "wholesalers" to add their mark-up as well usually results in what appears to be a 50% mark-up. So a $60 US$ part generally runs about $90 CDN$

And, unfortunately, it holds roughly true - yet aga>>

Reply to
NewMan

Uh...that's called the "exchange rate.'

I made a killing buying Canuckian dollars when Bush was letting the Chinese sink the dollar.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

No it is NOT the exhange rate.

The exchange rate to American Dollars from Canadian Dollars is in the range of a 14% premuim. That is, if, as a Canadian, I want $100 American, it will gnerally cost me about $114 Canadian.

So, if the sensor is $65 USD$, then the price should be no more than $74.10 CDN$

However, the price is $95! That is approximately a 46% premium!

The problem appears to be that Canadian "wholesalers" are paying US RETAIL prices, and then marking up to cover their operating costs - resulting in the 46% jump in price.

If the Canadian Market had access to US WHOLESALE prices, then I would expect to reasonably pay about $80 CDN for the sensor. So much for "free trade". Oh yeah, right! "Free trade" under NAFTA only works if you are the USA! I forgot, the minute NAFTA does not work in favour of the USA, then they just dunp illegal duties on our products until we agree to roll over and play dead! I digress.

Now it is also possible that Canadian Suppliers are simply gouging. You never know.

Reply to
NewMan

Rockauto show the Standard sensor at less than $40 US but there's shipping on top of that. Fedex Economy into Southwestern Ontario about doubles that price. Then we have to add GST, PST, OPP, RCMP, etc.....I exaggerate

You "wood"n't do that wood you? :)

Reply to
cavedweller

Thanks for that...I hadn't realized that the C$ had stayed so buoyant after I cashed out at C$1.10/US$1.00. I'd been used to 65¢ on the USD for quite awhile, but Bush's bumbling regarding China sure fixed that!

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Yeah, I remember the $0.65 days! Man that was harsh. I have friends in the US, but it became cost prohibative to go for a visit. Taking such a hit on our money was nuts.

Reply to
NewMan

Reply to
NewMan