1994 Chrysler AWD Minivan transmission removal

Hi All,

For your interest and amusement:

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Interesting pictures Ted. Please keep us up to date. Are you having a local shop rebuild the transmission? I would imagine that you saved a bunch doing the R&R work yourself.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

You're not fooling me .. ... .... ..... you took those pics so you could get it back together !!!... I know,,, been there done that,,, LOTS of times !!! Gotta love those digital cameras...

But really nice of you to share..

Reply to
me!

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Well, the primary goal wasn't to save money, the primary goal was to have fun with a project to work on. I've had several other project cars before but always before the car kind of turned into a project car but wasn't intended to be one. That is, I bought the car planning on driving it as a used car, then after getting it within 6 months there's huge amounts of things wrong, so I end up spending a lot of time working on it, rather than using it for what I bought it for. Then when I finally get everything fixed on it I've spent way more than I wanted to, and now I have so much invested in the car that if I sell it I will take a bath. Plus that since I've been working on them under pressure - when you need the car to go to work the next day, for example - there's little enjoyment in doing the work.

This was the first vehicle where I went out and deliberately looked for a specific make and model vehicle in the "broken-down $100-$200" price range with the express intent on being able to work on it at leisure. I was particularly pleased with this find because for that price I had been expecting to end up with something like a late 80's early 90's short wheelbase Caravan that either had the smaller 2.5L engine or had a 3.3L engine but had massive body damage. I never expected to get a T&C of this vintage.

It is actually quite difficult to find $200 vehicles out there that have little to no body damage but blown-up powertrains. Most of them when they get to be that price they have passed into the hands of owners who don't give a shit about them and use them for stump-pulling or plowing the back 40 or something equally bad, and when they finally bite the dust the seller is just hoping to get $50-$100 for the carcass, instead of having to pay someone $50-$100 to haul it off. We are talking vehicles with cracked winshields, big bashed dents in the side, collapsed bumpers, and rusted like a sieve. Most of the middle class people in society when they have an older vehicle that they have maintained well and it's powertrain blows up and is not cost effective (to them) to fix, they they don't think to sell it, instead they either trade it in to a new car dealer or a high-end used car dealer, or donate it to the Kidney foundation. Once it ends up there it goes straight to the auctions where the leeches all fight over it, then it ends up getting picked apart in some wrecking yard. And I don't have the time to devote an entire day to attending some auction of junked cars, then getting outbid by a wrecker who can take a van like what I got, chop the 3.8L engine out of it with a cutting torch, and sell the engine for double what he paid for it for.

With this van I've been tracking the expenditures on it. My goal is to try to end up between $1500-$2000 total expenditure for everything, including consumables, replaced interior parts, the A/C system which needs repair, and the other nickle-dimey stuff. So far I think I'm doing very well to meet that. If I do I'll end up with a vehicle that is at least worth the same as what I put into it, probably more. And how many leisure activities are out there that you can say that about?

I'm having Transmission Exchange Co do the transaxle:

I live about 3 miles from them. Once they open thetrans up and see what's inside they will call me on it. Actually, I think the big cost savings on this is in all the subsidiary work. For example with the trans out of the way, changing spark plugs in the back of the engine is simple. Also I found a used driveline in a u-pullit that has intact seals for $35 - a shop would have probably wanted to put in a rebuilt driveline, and cost of that is $250. (there is only one driveline shop locally in PDX that rebuilds this style driveline) Also I've found the front motor mount is shot, the LH drivers half-shaft boots already have a bunch of surface cracks on them, one of the cast aluminum PTU support brackets that bolts onto the engine is cracked, and the serpentine belt looks like a cat clawed it. Fixing all that piddly crap now means I can get the parts from a wrecker (like the bracket) or get remans on the axles (I'm going to do both sides) and you see, that is where the real money of these jobs is. A shop would charge a parts markup on all these parts plus labor. It's not cost effective for them to send a guy out to a wrecker for an hour to pull an aluminum bracket that the wrecker would charge $5 for. And it's not even worth calling the wrecker to do it since the wrecker is either going to want to keep the bracket with the PTU, or they are going to destroy the bracket while removing it, and even if they didn't they are going to want to get paid for labor too. The garage would order it from the dealer at $50 a crack plus their markeup. And they would get reman axles from NAPA and charge me $80 (NAPA's retail price) per axle plus their markeup it would be more like $90-100 per axle. I can go to Thrifty and get a Federal Mogul reman axle for $60 per axle. And this isn't even to mention the consumables like ATF, which would of course get shop markups on as well.

And also, half the fun of bringing a vehicle like this up is running around to all the places and finding the parts you need. It's like a jigsaw puzzle, it's just instead of doing the puzzle at a table, it's a much bigger puzzle you do in the garage.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Heh - you missed the part at the beginning of the pictorial where I said we had an "existing '95 Chrysler T&C" I can pop the hood on that if I forget how to reassemble something since the engine compartments are identical.

Thanks! I mainly put it together as what you might term performance art, and because someone else on the forum mentioned they had a AWD with the same problem, languishing on the side of the garage. Besides, this is the kind of job that sounds a lot worse than it really is, hopefully someone out there who has one of these who is a bit afraid to jump into it, might reconsider after viewing.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt